Peterborough canoe history/age

Thanks Dick, information is just hard to come by from so long age. I'm happy that people have taken the time to research it.

Hello everyone, I am very new to this restoring game on canoes and I am looking forward to all your help and advice, can I start with the canoe I have just bought for 300 euro ( I'm in France ) from my first search I think it's a Peterborough, the number that is stamped into the wood on the stern a 1 with a - then 92. So it looks 1-92 and that's all I can find no sign of a brass plate anywhere, I hope I don't create to much head scratching!

Here’s a serial number for the Peterborough wide board I posted about above:

943 79

Stamped into coaming at bow.

I don’t understand these serial numbers. Jeff- your canoe looks its serial number could be either 4 8809 or 4 3809. Are you sure the first digit is an “8”? In any case, Peterborough # 4 3062 is a vertical rib canoe with the number clearly stamped onto a brass plate mounted to the bow coaming. This number obviously comes before either of your possible numbers, but the brass tag would seem to place it at a later date. Any ideas anyone? Could Peterborough have simply picked random numbers or perhaps have in some way started over at some time? Seems unlikely, as this would negate the entire concept of “serial”!

Michael
These seem a little bit of an odd lot of number's, my numbers are on the stern coaming and only read 1-92 my canoe is in France so maybe exports had different number set ups!

Back