Peterborough 4 planker

balletz

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have a 4 plank, Peterborough canoe (which I believe to be early...maybe 1890s..) that needs attention. Unfortunately, I do not have the skills or knowledge to do this kind of work and because I have never worked on a wood canoe before, would not do this right even if I did know or had the tools.
This spring, as I uncovered the canoe, I noticed a nice hole about the size of a half dollar in one of the planks. Turns out, the one plank that has bad grain has the hole so I guess it makes sense to have the entire plank replaced.
As I pondered this situation, another thought occured to me which is, should I even be messing about in this vintage boat and run the risk of doing more harm to a classic beauty? So I am looking for advice from the experts that have provided guidance to me in the past so generously. This would make someone a great winter project!
Please advise and regards,
Bill:confused:

Hi Bill,

Your canoe sounds so intriguing that I have to ask if you can post some pictures for us to drool over. You certainly have come to the right place--- there's a lot of expertise in this group--- which you know from past experience! I'm nearly as interested in reading responses to your post as I am to seeing pictures of the subject-canoe.

Kathy

Thank you for the reply....I will take some digital photos of the patient and "attempt" to post them....however, I will be the first to admit that I am not very good at posting photos(!) or taking pictures for that matter!

Peterborough 4 planker photos

Well, I attempted to post some photos but ran into an error (missing security token) so maybe I am not permitted to upload photos. I will send them to someone that might be able to help.
Bill

If you can post here, you should be able to upload pictures... I've had problems if my pictures are too big, but can't recall getting a message... the picture simply didn't work. Hope it works to have Peter post for you!

Bill,

Here are the new photos of your wide-board rib & batten Peterborough, as per your email.

I mentioned in a posting a couple of years ago in regards to this canoe, that there is only a handful Peterborough "Solid Comfort" or model #464 of this vintage left today. A very rare canoe.

Best for now
Dick Persson
Buckhorn Canoe Company

Attachments

• 100_1801.jpg
    100_1801.jpg
    538.2 KB · Views: 416
  • 100_1807.jpg
    100_1807.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 425
  • 100_1808.jpg
    100_1808.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 432
  • 100_1809.jpg
    100_1809.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 418
  • 100_1810.jpg
    100_1810.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Bill,

Here are the last two pics.

Dick

Attachments

• 100_1811.jpg
    100_1811.jpg
    546.2 KB · Views: 405
  • 100_1812.jpg
    100_1812.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 396
Dick,
Thank you for posting the photos....I am rather limited in my computer abilities so your help is appreciated.
I do remember your comments from the past few years regarding this model which is why I am concerned about its future welfare. I believe it needs a safer home than what I can provide at this time, rather than wait for a barn to magically show up on my 3/4 acre property.
I hope the WCHA can understand my thinking on this.
Bill

Back