Peter Gilbert - Burtts Corner, New Brunswick, Canada

peterng

Enthusiastic Novice
G'day,

Just wanted to introduce myself.

Surveyor by trade, 35 yrs old. Lived in New Hampshire for the past 5 or 6 years on and off where I met Tom Seavey of Azland Traditinos, he helped me a lot.

Ran into Rollin Thurlow (pronounced rawlin NOT rollin as Tom kept reminding me) for materials in my travels. Went to meet and buy materials from Bill Miller a few times, he is in Riley Brook very close to where I was born in Perth. Most other canoe builders in the province I have tracked down including Arbor Vitae, Wendell Lennon, Steven Jones. Great way to spend time.

I have an 18' Ogilvy from the late 40's or 50's that I restored a few years back. I also have a 16' Peterborough Prospector that I bought off Joyce and Becky Mason at auction a couple of summers ago, it used to be one of Bill's.

I don't get a lot of time to work on them as life gets in the way for a transient soul like me. Things have settled in now though and I am devoting the remainder of the winter to the Prospector.

I don't claim to have the faintest idea of what I am doing but I enjoy working away almost as much as I enjoy paddling. So wether I do good work or not is questionable, wether I get out paddling is definite !

Good to make your acquaintance,
Peter Gilbert

Howdy Pete
and welcome.I have a dozen or so and get great grief and what not from pals who wonder why.Enjoy them all and all the folke here you came to a great place.We alway enjoy pictures
Dan'l

I wish I was capable of that maneouvre but I haven't been able to pull it off on purpose yet !

Here's a bit of trivia for you all then !! who is this canoeing gymnist (hint: it is not me)

He was Canada's premiere solo paddler. By the age of 14 he was building his own canoes and guiding.

Peter

yes.

it was the hint. But I forgot to say "final answer" or to put it in the form of a question.
what do i win?

No worries I'm not a stickler like that tightwad Trebeck.

how about a $5 gift certificate to Tim Horton's for the next time you are north of the border !

Of course you'll have to pay $97 now for a passport if you don't already have one, in order to redeem the coupon :eek:

PM me your address and the coupon will be on it's way.

Congragulations !

Back