Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Penn Yan Autocanoe

Discussion in 'Wood and Canvas' started by Howie, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Howie

Howie Wooden Canoe Maniac

Just finished a Penn Yan Auto Canoe for my friend Todd. At 10' long it's a bath tub! Weighs all of 38#. Serial # CA-158 doesn't really tell the age other than it being from before 1947. Todd says he bought it last year from a fella in Vermont in his 80s who remembers being in the canoe when he was maybe 4 years old.

There are no seats so you'd have to paddle in a kneeling position. Todd isn't a huge guy, but I thought the planking to be a bit thin to handle the resulting stress where he'd be kneeling, so with his permission I added some half-ribs to the aft end.

20190607_173340.jpg 20190607_173419.jpg 20190607_173309.jpg 20190608_085033.jpg 20190608_085051.jpg

BTW, this is the canoe I had mentioned in a previous Thread about wrinkles appearing in the canvas. The wrinkles were caused by my canvassing technique: Due the extreme hull profile change in a short distance (note the stubby decks) I needed to slit the fore & aft canvas 'flaps' much further down the stem toward the bottom of the canoe. I replaced the canvas, and voila, no wrinkles. Live & learn...

Shari Gnolek likes this.
  2. MGC

MGC Paddlephile

That's more like it! It came out nicely.
    It is definitely a chubby little thing....it could be handy for duck hunting as long as you only take two or three decoys along.

3. Just1moredave

Just1moredave Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

Thanks for mentioning that. I had something similar happen on my first canvas attempt. I hope I fixed it on my second try.