Paint sources wood and canvas canoe

Colorado Bob

High altitude wooden canoe paddler
Can anyone recommend a paint that I can purchase at a retail store or supplier for an wood and canvas canoe? I am restoring a 1940 Old Town 'Yankee Model' and have replaced the canvas and I'm ready to apply the canvas filler. I purchased 1.25 gallons of filler from Island Falls Canoe and it cost me nearly $140 with shipping and took more than 2 weeks to arrive. I'm grateful that Island Falls is the "go to" supplier for Old Town restoration but I'd love to buy a less expensive alternative to their $45, plus shipping, a quart price. I've heard Rust oleum paint is similar and is only $8 a quart at Lowe's. I live in the Denver, CO area with many marinas and boat repair/paint companies; I called one and he didn't know what kind of paint I needed. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Lots of folks uses Kirby paints. They are an old family company specializing in marine paints. They are also very customer friendly. I personally prefer Brightside paints but we all have our own preferences. Many folks use tractor paint and seem to have great success with it. Application can be done with a foam roller followed by an immediate dry brush to kill the bubbles. I suspect you will get many opinions from the experienced members of this great forum. A quart is usually plenty to do one canoe. Kirby paints are available on line. They have an on line color chart and will also do custom colors. Brightside is available on line from Jamestown Distributors.

Brightsides Paint

I saw Rod(?) from Orca Boats on YouTube using Brightsides. I found Brightsides paint on Amazon for $34 a quart and $9 shipping for 2 quarts. What can't you get on Amazon??

Last edited:
Please feel free to share pictures of your restoration project in these forums-- especially finished product and launching!

I know what you mean about Amazon-- I tend to have a "cart" that I periodically add to. Shipping is free in some cases.

Brightside has more gloss than Rustoleum, but Rustoleum is really tough to beat, especially at $8/ quart. Years ago,one of my customers had a 15' Lyman lapstrake boat painted white that he brought to the shop for refinishing. It spent the entire summer in the water at a slightly acidic lake. the bottom paint was in really good condition. Somewhat surprised, I asked what paint was on the boat. You guessed it- Rustoleum gloss white. Since then, I have never hesitated to use Rustoleum.

I'm finally approaching the time to paint the hill :) . Does anyone have an opinion as to which brand has the most durable finish ie: hard to scratch ,ease of application. Last I've read that some folks use more than 2 coats. What is the best? 2,3 or more?

I have used Brightsides by Interlux, but recently switched to Easypoxy by Pettit paints. I find it covers better with less coats. Probably something to do with changes in formulations for EPA standards. I have always been curious as to how many coats of paint others put on their canoes. I generally will do 3 coats of primer, sand as smooth as possible and then 3 coats of colour paint which is 1 litre for each type of paint so 2 litres total.

Rod, you put on over a gal of paint????

I use Interlux enamel, about 1 1/2 qts or a bit more total.
No primer, the 1st 2-3 coats get block sanded, the last just rolled/tipped.
1-2 final coats depending on how it looks.

Dan

I highly recommend Ben Moore Super Spec Primer. I have never had any connection wth any company that makes or sells paint. This stuff works.

"Rod, you put on over a gal of paint????"
"1 litre for each type of paint so 2 litres total"
No. I will end up with less than 2 litres total. 1 litre of primer then sand a lot of that off to get it smooth and then a litre of colour. For those not on the metric system, a litre is basically equal to a US quart.

I've consistently had the best results with Epifane paints. I use 4 to 5 coats in most cases, sometimes more... I tip and roll as I go.
For the time and effort to get a boat ready to paint I'm not shy about spending the long dollar to get good paint and the best result that I can...I watch for free shipping and sales and buy paint when the price is right but if I need it I buy it as I go...

I tip and roll as I go.

I enjoy even better results rolling and then tipping. But to each his own. (cue another comment about deck rings, canada or my mothers virtue lol)
Agree 100% about the long dollar and Epifanes, just got quart of Kirbys so anxious to try their paint.

Brightside for me rolls and tips the best, and easiest. 2nd choice Epifanes. Kirby has the best color choices. I just did a canoe with Pettit ez -poxy , didn't have the gloss like Brightside. Always one coat of primer , sand and 2 or 3 coats of paint, depending on color and finish , or dust and bugs. Also Pettit 1015 captains varnish. I've never had a problem with it. If you want a beautiful satin/matte finish , Epifanes woodfinish Matte

Good luck with the Kirby and let us know your impressions...they have the best color selection and will custom blend or color match.
I found the paint to be a total PITA to work and once done very "soft".
Like gout, you only need to look at it and it hurts. I swear the canoe that was painted with it grows scratches just sitting alone in the cellar.

On the topic of paint, Jamestown Dist is offering free shipping through the end of the day. This is the best time to buy from them....

Thanks everyone. I am a retired house painter I always used Benjamin Moore it's the best house paint. Never even knew they made a marine enamel. Too bad I already went and ordered Kirby satin finish. The array of colors sold me. To me primer is a must how many coats of finish I'll use will be at least 2 I can always add a 3rd next year. We'll see. I used Old Towns paint 21 years ago and did the same. I rarely take my wood canoes away from our lake. I have no rocks to worry about down here in SJ. I plan on rowing my 16' with sponsons and at 130 lbs I doubt its leaving this lake either. I'm not 30 anymore. I'll report back once Its completed

Thanks ,I ended up buying Kerby semi glass. They just had the colors I liked the best. Being a house painter for 25+ years as long as I'm in the shade and the temps are below 65-70 it should flow nicely I plan on one coat of primer and 3 coats of finish. Is 3 enough? Some on the inside. I used 1 coat mckluskys glossy spar and plan on 2 more of the gloss and I last of satin.
I was concerned about using semi glass on the hull ,thinking that gloss was a harder finish. Oh well it's only going to get used by me on a fresh water lake. It the lake both my old towns spent the entire lives. Mine a 28 or a bought by my great grandfather in 28 for this cottage. The other and my current project is a HW 43 with sponsons that I'm making a rowing canoe. Sorry I'm rambling here.
One more question my 2 otca I restored in 1983 I used old town full gloss enamel actually I used old town every thing. They were wonderful supplying me with all I needed to know and I did know nothing!!I don't have that old 20 year can of paint from old. What is the reccomdations of brand and type to add a 3rd coat to my 28 Otca? Back then I only use 1 coat of primer and 2 of finish. I think it's time for a 3rd. To add to its durability and cove a few scratches.

Just saw a canoe today done in Kirby's bottle green. I asked about the durability and the owner offered that he thought Kirby's was not a hard a paint like a Brightside and others. I'll also be using Kirby's on my project soon.

Back