Paint concerns

Rod Tait (Orca Boats)

Designer/Builder
I have a customer who wants me to paint his canvas canoe again with basic alkyd exterior paint because he wants it to match something else. I don't have much faith in house paint (exterior, porch paint, etc) as I have found it not to last as long, not have the high gloss and scrapes off easier. Not to mention that the 5 year old canvas that I put on there is still in good condition but seeps water right through the same paint where he has scraped it. Any thoughts as I don't want to just cover up with more bad paint? Considering a skim coat of epoxy of the paint. West technical team says it will bond to the old paint if roughed up and clean.

Some sort of tie coat primer. Jamestown might have some. Kind of like a skim coat of epoxy I guess. I know I've used one before can't remember what Pettit ? Can't Kirby paint match a color for you. Either way more sanding, I feel like my whole life is sanding sometimes.

The problem with epoxy coating is that even when rolled and tipped, it does not form a smooth, professional looking surface unless it is then sanded smooth. One skim coat is probably not enough thickness to be able to sand without putting holes in the coat. Standard Gougeon procedure to generate adequate film thickness for water protection is to apply two thin coats on surfaces where cosmetics don't demand sanding, or three coats on surfaces which need to be sanded smooth for good appearance.

I'm kind of surprised that water is seeping through your filler if the paint is scratched. I've had good luck over the years with polyurethane floor enamels, and they can mix pretty much any color you desire. My Guide has custom mixed polyurethane floor enamel from Ace Hardware. My fur trade canoe is painted with various shades of one from Home Depot called "One-Part Epoxy Concrete and Garage Floor Paint". Both seem quite well attached and pretty tough for paint.

guide2-a01.jpg
Big Canoe.JPG

Water is "seeping" through all the places that the paint is scraped off. Filler is likely damaged in those areas as well. I was just concerned that more paint may not be the answer. I just have never used alkyd paint before, only top quality marine paints.

Rod,
You might consider sanding the paint all off,
priming it maybe a couple of coats then applying marine enamel. If you send a color sample to George Kirby at Kirby Paint, he can match the house paint.
Dave

Hi Rod. I have used Tremclad akalyd enamel rust paint on many canoes for years with no issues. ( Rustoleum in the USA )
For a special colour mix Cloverdale Paints has a great marine alkalyd enamel which I have mixed for the Chestnut Grey. They also have a multitude of other paint chips to choose from.

What Dave said. I'm no canoe expert but there's no substitute for doing things right. And with paint it's always about what's beneath. They should be able to match the color as well as the level of sheen.

Back