Paddle maker in Maine

Discussion in 'Paddles and Paddle Making' started by The Canoe Kid, Jan 11, 2005.

1. The Canoe Kid

The Canoe Kid LOVES Wooden Canoes

I am trying to track down a paddle maker in Maine. I would like to buy a North Woods style paddle from them.

Anyone know of a place that makes them?

Thanks

The Canoe Kid

2. Rob Stevens

Rob Stevens Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

3. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

The Maine listings in the WCHA Builders Guide (http://www.wcha.org/buildsupply/us/me.html) show a few sources of paddles to explore. I second Rob's suggestion of Alexandra Conover - I bought a cherry paddle with northwoods grip and ottter tail blade, and it is an exceptional paddle, both in workmanship and performance.

Paddles can be shipped easily, so you may not need to limit yourself to Maine suppliers. I highly recommend Douglas Ingram's paddles - look for Red River Canoe and Paddle under the Manitoba listings in the builders guide. In the past I've imported his paddles for resale, and hope to continue doing so...

Cheers,
    Dan

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  4. Greg Nolan

Greg Nolan enthusiast

I picked up a northwoods style paddle at the end of December that Alexandra Conover made for me from ash -- wonderful workmanship. Haven't used it yet -- it is winter, after all -- but I have used another of hers, and it was great.

5. Giiwedin

Giiwedin Gouvernail

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  6. nevrdun

nevrdun Nevrdun

7. F Harvey Bowley

F Harvey Bowley Builder 3rd generation

paddle

porters woodworking Patten, Maine 207-528-2106 beavertail from 54 to 72 inches or maine guide 54 to 72
    Shaw and Tenney orono maine 1-800-240-4867