OT HW 1940

sander63*

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Its been just about a year since starting my first restoration and finding the WCHA. Just wanted to say a big thank you to all the members who kindly shared their knowledge and love of these special canoes. I know I would not have been able (or had the tenacity) to get it done with out all the advice and support. I have a new appreciation for the skill and hard work of everyone past and present building/ restoring them. For me even after reading all I could about it, the hardest parts were filling and getting the stems canvased properly. I am wondering if for a newcomer it would be worth while to use a small section of cavass and go through the stretching/filling/painting process (may on an old wood barrel?). Maybe costs a little more up front but might save in the long run. Last thing was to make the fittings ( thanks Benson for the closeup!) and install the floor rack. Here are a couple of pictures
Regards and Thanks Again! OT HW 820 1.jpg OT HW 820 4.jpg old town 7468-17 e.jpg
Tom

Nicely done. It looks like you overcame any challenges that you encountered.
The next one you do might be easier...or it might not. What you learn on one helps with the next but each restoration is a bit different and sometimes what went smoothly on one will be a PITA on the next.

Thanks Brly and MGC. I think your are right about each project having different problems, I was luck to start off with a pretty solid hull which I don't think had ever been recanvassed. Sending off some pictures today to the original owners family. Here is a shot of the floor rack mounts made using Benson's original example to copy.
Regards,
TomOT HW 820 3.jpg

Back