OT(?) #1852 16

Mike, I know less about cell phones and picture resolution than I do about wood and canvas canoes!! Will get one of my sons to help me figure it out.

As my son once elegantly proclaimed, "I know nothing and always will."
I'm not sure how you are moving your images. If you are transferring them with bluetooth, you should be given a prompt to allow transfer at actual size. Pick that.
If you are saving the images along the way. select a format that does minimal compression, such as jpg. Mention this to your son and he should get you on the right path.
The tacks can tell the story.
Mike

Copper tacks holding the canvas / copper nails in the gunwales. Slightly and gently pulling back the canvas from the stem makes me think there may have been repairs and or recanvas in the past. Will resolve the picture issues. Appreciate everyone's insight and suggestions. MTF

Alright..... going to upload pictures again. If anyone can comment on any difference please let me know.

20230105_161815[1].jpg

That's more like it!
The planking appears to be white cedar. Can you confirm that? And the tacks securing the planking, those are the ones that are of interest.
The long outside rail extending past the stem is a common feature in some older boats. What can be hard to decide is if this is original, a repair or an exaggerated appearance due to the decay of the stem and deck tips.

The long outside rail extending past the stem is a common feature in some older boats. What can be hard to decide is if this is original, a repair or an exaggerated appearance due to the decay of the stem and deck tips.

This canoe may have also had outside stems originally, which can also explain the rail extension.

Benson

Reactions: MGC
1. Will try to pull a plank tack today.

2. The stems do seems wide, will measure them today.

3. In one of the pictures you can see under the deck, there are new-ish "braces" that the seller said were put in due to some broken cant ribs. Will try to get in touch with him today to see who put them in and when. Will also send more detailed photos of them. At first glance they mere not meant to be permanent.

Back