Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Orvis Miniature Canoe

Discussion in 'Scale and Miniature Canoe Models' started by owlsroost, Sep 27, 2018.

1. owlsroost

owlsroost Fishing Guide

I have been offered a miniature canoe that is said to have come from Orvis around 20 -25 years ago. It is two foot in length, with a center beam of 4.75 inches. It comes with a set of paddles approx. 6.5" long and a stand which can be hung on a wall or used on a table. The man thinks he payed between $50 - $100 back when he bought it. It does not have anything written on it.

Can anybody authenticate it as being from Orvis? I just need some background to try and determine its worth. Sorry but I don't have a picture.

2. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

I can't authenticate this and never recall seeing a model canoe from Orvis in the past 25 years. Two feet long is relatively small for model canoes so my guess is that it is probably one of the Asian models like the one shown at https://www.ebay.com/itm/173557497184 for example. These are frequently listed inaccurately as vintage Old Towns like the one at https://www.ebay.com/itm/123386150910 for much higher prices. Don't be fooled and post some pictures if you can. Good luck,

Benson

3. Roger Young

Roger Young display sample collector

I have to second and reinforce everything Benson has said. A sample model measuring about 2 feet in length is extremely unusual for an authentic factory piece - most of those are between 4' and 8'; the shortest I have ever come across is 30" (personal models made by old John Stephenson in the 1870's, or thereabouts), and a couple of 36" Peterborough Canoe Co. items from ca. 1900. Other factory samples have run anywhere from 42" on up. However, beyond the world of recognized, early, authentic, N. American canoe factory display samples, which are usually of substantial value as rare antiques, there are many forms of miniature canoe models. Some of these are exquisitely well made items built by professional modellers such as Chris Pearson and others; those are highly prized and can also carry a sizeable price tag. Beyond that come more ordinary items, some quite competently made, but selling relatively inexpensively. Nearer the bottom are imported, mass-produced miniatures, replicas and toy canoes, assembled by the thousands, fairly cheaply made of balsa, cloth covering, mesh seats. Photos are essential before anyone can begin to tell you what you may have, and for verification. There are lots of imported replicas floating around these days with widely exaggerated claims as to origin; it is easy to be misled and confused.

4. Roger Young

Roger Young display sample collector

Just as a further comment to the above, most of the 2' items I have seen over the years that come with a stand and two paddles (usually with bent grips) are imported Asian models of the cheaply made variety. They often sell anywhere from about $25 on up. I have seen cases where scammers, or those who simply didn't know, made claims that these were authentic early factory antiques and passed them off for high prices - over $2,000 in one case. Here are some photos of the typical Asian miniature.

Attached Files:

5. Greg Nolan

Greg Nolan enthusiast

A bit more clarification -- The second link that Benson gives above is for an eBay listing that has expired -- BUT eBay posted a different listing for a model that is built by the Little Bear Canoe Company in Milo, Maine -- a legitimate outfit building canoes and models.

When an eBay auction is over, eBay will often say "We found something similar" and post a current listing that is more or less similar -- in this case, not very similar at all.

The prices on their website for a 5' model are $1300 and up; the eBay auction has a reserve price that has not been met. While Little Bear calls its 5' model in the eBay listing a "salesman's sample" they do not assert that their models are antique or built by anyone other than them. They do say on their website -- "THIS IS OUR 5' CANVAS CANOE MODEL. EACH OF MY CANOES ARE BUILT THE SAME WAY OLD TOWN CANOES BUILT THEM YEARS AGO AND STILL BUILDS THEM TODAY. So they are not collectible antiques, but neither are they cheap Asian imports.

Their website is >http://www.littlebearcanoes.com/forsale.html>

As always on eBay, and most anywhere else -- caveat emptor!

Greg

6. OP
    OP
    owlsroost

owlsroost Fishing Guide

Here are some pictures of this canoe. As a matter of correction it is 27 inches in length, with abeam of 4.75 inches. It has absolutely no markings on it anywhere. Again it was reportedly purchased from Orvis 20 to 25 years ago, but I see no indication that Orvis had anything to do with tis model canoe. Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me on this.

Model Canoe (1 of 1).jpg PA050368.JPG PA050367.JPG PA050366.JPG

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  7. OP
    OP
    owlsroost

owlsroost Fishing Guide

In comparing with Roger's photos it looks like the 1st one you attached: "Chincanoe 4"

8. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Kathryn Klos likes this.