OldTown Canoes

Blue Viking

Wooden Canoe Maniac
My next door neighbor claims he has an opportunity to buy an Old Town canoe that is fiberglass over canvas and is supposed to be ORIGINAL!.I didnt think OT did that. Anyone ever hear of glass over canvas by OT
Thanks

I have never seen or heard of Old Town laying FG over canvas, probably a heavy sucker! The dawn of FG prompted the DIY'r to pull the canvas off and recover with FG resulting in a permanent fix to re-canvasing. As others can attest, removal of FG can be tough and may not be worth it at all...unless you can get the canoe for free.

Ric

I worked at the Old Town Canoe Company for many years and have studied their history for some time but have never seen or heard of any fiberglass over canvas canoe that was ever produced at the factory. If your neighbor can provide a serial number then their claim should be able to be verified or disproved with the build record.

This is a somewhat common amateur repair technique but I don't know of any professional who endorses it.

Benson

Thought so!..

:) Thanks for responding. I am not very experienced and have had my share of the "plastic" stuff in the past. but, I just could not conceive of Old Town adding all that additional weight when the theory is to make a canoe that you can portage.or at least pick up. My friend and I have acquired a White "Boy Scout" that is fiberglass over wood to restore for a person who has a lot of sentimental value attached to it.We also came into possession of 1919 OT square stern 19' and an 18' vintage guide that is a 1934..So I am familiar with the "Good Old Timers" Thanks to you both and I guess Mr Gray is the contact if you want to get information about Old Town. I love posting a question on here because you get factual information.

PS: to Thought so!

my friend who has acquired all the good old timer stuff with me is NOT the neighbor next door. that gentleman would just as soon weld to car hoods together and call that a canoe!:)

Gil Cramer said:
I have NEVER seen any canoe with fiberglass over canvas,but who knows, someday I might. It certainly would be easier to remove than fiberglass over bare wood.

Gil,
I have seen this numerous times. Apparently some folks find this a quick, relatively cheap way for a do it yourselfer to "rejuvenate" ie. waterproof a w/c canoe.

taking shortcuts that spoil it

I am going up to Medway Maine in a couple of weeks to look at a Big Chestnut freighter that someone did just that to!..If My partner and I can get it cheap enough at least it will be an easy strip to re-canvas.Think it is called and "Ogilvy" or something like that!

Back