Old Town Yacht Tender Restoration - RH Macy & Co. private labeled

Mkrzyzan

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello all!

Embarking on the restoration of this tender. From what I can tell, it appears to have started out as a Grade AA Old Town 10 footer, circa 1935. The interesting part is that it was private labeled and sold by the department store, R.H. Macy & Co. NYC. The Macy tag was affixed to the upper transom area, centered above the transom knee. One issue is that there is no serial number present...so I am guestimating on the build-date based on a few other Old Towns I have found.

Would anyone have any additional information on the private labeling of boats from Old Town? Did they do this in great numbers, for many retailers, etc?

Here are a few pics showing how I found it, and where I'm at on the restoration currently. Hope to have this one finished by the Spring - things are moving along well.

1) The tag that was affixed on the transom

macy(1).JPG

2) As-found in a barn last Summer. Picked up a few interesting boats from the same barn.

macy(6).JPG

3) Brought into the shop a few weeks ago to thaw out and assess. Nearly all of the mahogany will need to be replaced due to rot or severe cupping. The ribs, most planking, and inner transom fared well.

macy(8).jpg

4) Should be a serial number there....but nothing is visible.

macy(9).jpg

5) Interior all stripped and rough sanded. Bracing added to keep the boat square, so when it gets flipped it can be fastened to the sawhorses. You can see a faint outline of where an oval decal may have been on the forward deck.

macy(10).jpg

6) Flipped and secured. Ready to remove the outer stem and keel, then start removing the bad planking. All of the hull fasteners will be re-clenched as well. My wife has been volunteered to go underneath with the bucking iron and a pair of earplugs. I spent a lot of time "on the inside" as a kid doing this task...

macy(11).jpg

I resawed a bunch of cedar for my planking a few weeks ago. Just need to run it through the planer and we'll be ready to start fitting planks.

Many thanks to Benson for pointing me over here for research and sending along some material. We were able to determine that it was built between 1930-1940 due to its 10'2 length and 42" beam. So the guess of 1935 was pretty close!

Onward, now that the boat is upside down and fixed to the sawhorses.

macy(13).jpg

A view from the inside as I unfasten the outer keel for removal.

macy(14).jpg

Marking and trimming planks that will be removed.

macy(15).jpg

Making holes...

macy(15).jpg

The seats are very cupped. Haven't yet decided if I'll make an attempt to flatten them (which is doable), or just replace them.

macy(16).jpg

Pulled the inner transom out because it was quite rotten from the iron fasteners used to secure the aft ribs. Dug all of this out and repaired the damage. Transom is now stained and sealed, ready to be reinstalled this evening.

All of the cedar is milled, new aft ribs made and awaiting fitment. I can bend and clamp in place once the transom is back in.

All of the planking is now cut and dry fitted. All of the "tortured" pieces are soaking to make them nice and pliable.

Made most of the new mahogany pieces as well (to replace the rotted ones). Off to the Sunnyland Antique Boat Festival on Wednesday, so progress will pick up again next week.

macy(17).JPG

macy(18).jpg

macy(19).jpg

macy(20).jpg

macy(21).jpg

New seats are milled/shaped and ready to dry-fit. Made them out of some nicely figured mahogany. Planed down the old warped seats and will save them for future reuse. Also made some new gunnels. They are dimensioned and now need to be run through the shaper to soften the edges and route the rope channel.

Inner transom is reinstalled, new aft ribs steam bent and installed, all of the new planking is in. With the help of my wife, we've been re-clenching all of the tacks. Soon enough, it will be ready to flip upright and prepare for final sanding + bleaching.

macy(22).jpg

macy(25).jpg

Does anyone know the diameter of rope to use for the gunnel? 3/4" seems about right?

Attachments

• PAGE-14.JPG
    PAGE-14.JPG
    376.5 KB · Views: 374
I don't know the size but the people at Island Falls Canoe
The picture below from the 1968 catalog may show something more than 3/4 inches.
Benson

Good idea to check with Island Falls...
If I recall the rope on the one that I once owned (45 years ago) was a bit larger than 3/4. I am inclined to think it was inch or inch and a quarter...... perhaps even larger.

Thanks - I'll take a look and see what I can find.

If I remember right, I milled the gunnels to 1.5" "tall". I'll have to double check when I'm in the shop tonight.

Mkrzyzan - did you finish your restoration? I have a Kildonan skiff that looks very much like your skiff, only in worse shape. I’d like to know how you finished your transom.

Back