Old Town SN 9552 or 95525

Todd F

Lifetime Member
A seller has a 16' Old Town with what appears to be either 9552 or 95525 as the serial number. He stated he called Old Town and they told him it is a 1909 Charles River. However, in one photo there is clearly an impression along the inner gunwale from a diamond head bolt. Any suggestions or insight? Thanks as always.

Hi, TODD ....Well, my 08 has build number of 8992 and was done on July 28, 1908, so I would suspect that if the number 9552 were correct you have an 08. I'm not sure when OT first introduced the diamond head, but if they were installed after they were plugged with bungs, that witness would be there for seat and thwart fasteners. Just checked and my 08 is bunged with mahogany. And a previous o9 had caps over the fasteners, and no help there.I think my boat was a special order. Now it's time for Benson as OT may have built open wales in 09 as well as closed. FUN, Right ? Probably a much later boat.
Dave

The Old Town canoe with serial number 9552 is a 16 foot long, AA (or top) grade, Charles River model with red Western cedar planking, open mahogany gunwales, mahogany decks, mahogany thwarts, mahogany seats, half ribs, mahogany outside finish rails, a keel, and two flab pole sockets. It was built between October, 1908 and February, 1909. The original exterior paint color was white. It shipped on February 9th, 1909 to St. Louis, Missouri.

The Old Town canoe with serial number 95525 is a 16 foot long, CS (common sense or middle) grade, Otca model with open oak gunwales, oak decks, oak thwarts, oak seats, half ribs, a keel, and bilge keels. It was built between October, 1927 and March, 1928. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It shipped on March 19th, 1928 to Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Scans of these build records can be found below. These scans and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others as you probably know well. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will donate, join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See https://www.woodencanoe.org/about to learn more about the WCHA and https://www.woodencanoe.org/shop to donate or join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. I try to get pictures of the serial numbers from each end so I can make my own guess. A 1909 canoe would not originally have had diamond headed bolts. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions. Good luck,

Benson

OTC-9552.gif

OTC-95525.gif

Dave / Benson, thanks for the replies. I think Dave may be correct. Looking at the pics of what appear to be the original decks there are no flag holes. It was fiber glassed years ago. Interestingly there are no half ribs, despite both build sheet recording them. Perhaps it is not an Old Town?

The number certainly looks like number 95525. The Old Town with serial number 195525 is a plastic canoe. There aren't many other builders with serial numbers in this range. The half ribs may have been removed or this may have been stamped in error. Do the other characteristics match (i.e. oak trim, Otca decks, screw holes for bilge keels, etc.)?

Benson

No joy loading the picture but there are screws down the center line for the keel, and about 5" outboard on each side there are screws. Not good at ID'ing types of wood but it certainly does not appear to be oak.

Bilge keel screws are not common and Michigan sounds like a match. Does it have Otca decks? Is the serial number from the other end more clear?

Benson

Last edited:
Waiting on a picture of the other stem. But I think we may have the younger canoe, all good with that.

Back