Old Town Serial Number 157940

Jim Moffitt

I would appreciate information on Old Town canoe #157940. It is advertised as 15 foot from 1952. I would like to determine the model and approximate weight of the canoe. Thanks.

Welcome, the Old Town canoe with serial number 157940 is a 15 foot long, CS (common sense or middle) grade, fifty pound model with a keel. It was built between June and July, 1952. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It shipped on July 10th, 1952 to Fort Ann, New York. A scans of this build record can be found by following the link at the attached thumbnail image below.

157940.jpg

This scan and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-wcha to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/store/membership to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match the canoe. This canoe was listed as being 58 pounds in the 1952 catalog so it is probably more than that now. (Everything seems to gain weight over time.) Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

This canoe is listed on eBay, I saw it listed last year. If I didn't already have a restored 50 lb model already I'd probably go after it.

I was in the area that the canoe was in, went to see it, took one look at it and bought it on November 24. I had to rescue this canoe so that it could find a new home and get restored.

Edited, next morning...
Got to really go over it well this morning, the canoe is in great shape for it's age and the fact that it's a light weight canoe.

A couple of cracked ribs as to be expected from a light weight canoe, but no displacement and all appear to be good candidates for back splicing.
I have a spare rib (pun not intended) from when I replaced a dozen on my 1934 15' 50 lb.

Canvas is almost completely intact with one small gap by the gunwale on the bow.

Cleaned up this latest rescue and will find someone looking for a nice light weight canoe that will be an easy restoration, though it could be paddled as it is.

I LOVE my 50 lb and put a third seat in it to make it a solo or a tandem to take my granddaughter out in.

Someone is going to love this canoe, if I didn't already have one that is the same model this canoe would be my winter project.

Last picture is my 1934 which I was able to restore with the help of a number of the wonderful people in WCHA.

Just listed it in the classifieds.

Attachments

• PAGE-10.GIF
    PAGE-10.GIF
    139.4 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_20191125_105218826.jpg
    IMG_20191125_105218826.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20191125_105245157_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20191125_105245157_HDR.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 252
  • 1934 w 3 seats.jpg