Old Town serial # 218442

D Weston

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Most grateful for your help and this resource for any identifying information on our new old Old Town.

Welcome and congratulations, the Old Town canoe with serial number 218442 is a 17 foot long Chipewyan model with aluminum inserts in the rails that weighed 74 pounds. It was built in August, 1977. The original exterior color was green. It shipped on October 10th, 1977 to Logan, Utah. The back side of the card shows that it was purchased on September 14th, 1977 in Logan, Utah. A scan showing this build record can be found below.

This scan and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will donate, join, or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See https://www.woodencanoe.org/about to learn more about the WCHA and https://www.woodencanoe.org/shop to donate or join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match the canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

OTC-218442.jpg

OTC-218442-b.jpg

Hi again,
On the same canoe (Old Town 1977 17 ft Chipewyan), on the top of the deck plates at either end (right next to the Old Town Decal on the front deck plate) there are two holes (roughly in the center of each plate). They look original but there is nothing in the holes. Might you know the original purpose of these two holes? I'd thought maybe carrying handles on straps/rope. There are also two holes at the front of the hull (just above where one would apply a skid plate, and below the bow point/gunwales) which I see on a lot of Old Towns. Might you know the original purpose of those holes too please? I am assuming those are for a rope loop for a longer 'lead' rope to pull the canoe when walking in shallow water, but perhaps also for carrying straps/handles? Just wishing to be careful to use things as they were intended as this canoe is 45 yrs old and we'd like to use it for as long as it will possibly last, and maybe pass it on, just like the original owner did for us. Thank you : )

There is only one hole in the top of each deck plate, front and back...sorry, orig. description was a little vague.

Picture of the bow 'deck plate' holeBowDeckPlateHole.jpeg , and the bow hull (lead rope?) holes.HullRopeHoles.jpeg . The stern 'deck plate' hole is the same as the bow hole. To accompany my written descriptions (posts above). Thank you.

Might you know the original purpose of these two holes?

The holes in the decks are original and commonly used for painter lines. The holes in the bow were added after it left the factory and can also be used for a painter. Let me know if this doesn't answer your question.

Benson

Back