Old Town paint dating

mmmalmberg

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I'm guessing 1970-ish just by the graphic design but I really have no idea. I sent a sample to George Kirby and he's matched it. Then I noticed on the label it has the pigment recipe! I just want to let him know the approximate year for his files.
IMG_9149.JPG

IMG_9152.JPG

I'm going to put a couple coats of Kirby's match down first and finish with this so I have original paint showing and some leftover for touch-up down the road.

This might be opening a can of worms but, back a few years ago when I was coming up with an acceptable color for some house stain,
I learned that there are 3 maybe 4 color systems in use, which use different "recipes" to get the same color.

I have no idea what system OT or their supplier might have used.

Dan
(I bought 12-13 qts of colorant to mix with 40 gals of base stain.
It was a lot of work.)

This reminds me of way back when, I worked for a short time in the stockroom of a company that make film processing equipment, Pako.
All very expensive machines and parts. As typical, they also sold all the maintenance materials for the machines, including gear oil for the gear boxes.
This gear lube was sold in small 1 pt cans for several $$'s, after being repacked from 55 gal barrels, it was standard Union 76 gear lube, that you could get for maybe $2 a gal at the time.

I can't give you an exact date but I was working at Old Town in the early 1970s and one of my jobs was to take the labels off Woolsey paint cans and replace them with those labels.
Benson

Back