Old Town or Carleton SN 5585

MGC

Scrapmaker
Benson, do you have records for either OT or Carleton numbers 5585 or 5385?
The canoe in question has been described by the owner as an Old Town but it looks like a Carleton to me. No length has been provided.
Thank you,
Mike

The length would help. The Carleton canoes with those numbers were made before the purchase by Old Town in March of 1910 so no records are available. The Old Town with number 5385 is a 16 foot long HW in CS grade that shipped to Milwaukee Wisconsin and the one with number 5585 is an 18 foot long Charles River in CS grade that eventually ended up in Center Lovell, Maine. These records are shown below. The Kennebec with number 5385 is 17 feet long and shipped in 1913 and the one with number 5585 is 18 feet long and shipped to New York City in 1913. Let me know if you get more details. Thanks,

Benson

5585.jpg 5385.jpg

Thank you Benson,
As expected WRT the Carleton....and yes, the length sure would help. That said, my hunch is that it's either a Carleton or possibly a Charles River boat BUT not an Old Town.
I believe that you just confirmed it by providing the ship to locations. Most of these old boats don't end up too far from where they were originally shipped. The one in question is in New York state. Although the seller thinks it's an Old Town, isn't that so often the case? An old wooden canoe almost always gets labeled as an Old Town unless the label says otherwise, and even then.

Back