OLD TOWN "MERRIMAC?"

pathologist

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'M LOOKING AT A PHOTO OF A WOOD/CANVAS (NOW FIBERGLASS)BOAT/DINGHIE, 17FT, WITH HALF RIBS, SQUARE STERN, SPONSONS, THAT IS FOR SALE. IT APPEARS TO HAVE AGE AND PLEASING PATINA ON WOOD. SELLER HAS LITTLE INFO OTHER THAN WHAT IS OBVIOUS. DID OT MAKE A "MERRIMAC" DINGHIE
MODEL? I KNOW THERE IS A MERRIMACK CANOE MADE IN SC.

My guess is that you may be looking at a boat made by the St. Louis Meramec Canoe Company as Gil suggested. I don't recall Old Town ever offering any model using the Merrimac name. Please post some pictures and the serial number.

Benson

Gentleman, Thanks for the rapid responses. I won't prolong the conversation until I'm able to see the boat and gather info that the seller has not supplied. This boat has a much smaller deck than the Merico Speedster. The small deck she has is similar to those on my 1957 Old Town canoes. The dinghy is a near duplication of Rollin Thurlow's "Kingfisher."

Mr. Gray, I had a look at the dinghy (OT Merrimac) and have a serial number; 518 3. It was difficult to discern if another digit followed the '8'." She is of Old Town construction with a length of about 14.6 ft with a beam of 46 inches. I hope the numbers are sufficient. Thanks in advance.

Can you post some pictures of this dinghy, especially of the serial numbers from both ends? Their serial number 5183 went on a 16 foot long HW and I didn't see any likely matches in the 518x3 range. I also checked the 1518x3 range and the best match was 151833. This is a 15 foot long square end paddling canoe model with half ribs, outside stems and sponsons that shipped to Knoxville, Tennessee in 1949. Does that seem like a match?

Benson

IMG_0457.jpg
IMG_0457.jpg
IMG_0456.jpg
IMG_0457.jpg IMG_0456.jpg H] IMG_0456.jpg IMG_0457.jpg

Mr. Gray, the photos recently posted with the incompetent assistance of a not-so- good fairy are of the Old Town canoe, serial number 151833. The numbers were not all apparent in the boat and I don't have convenient access to her at the moment. Mr. Gray, you are an excellent detective dealing with a lousy witness. Your build statistics match the actual and the serial number is more than likely very correct as this boat is located in east Tennessee. Is there a build form for her? Thanks much!!

The Old Town canoe with serial number 151833 is a 15 foot long, CS (common sense or middle) grade, square end paddling model with a rowing seat, red Western cedar planking, open spruce gunwales, half ribs, a keel, outside stems, and sponsons. It was built between October, 1948 and July, 1949. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It shipped on July, 11th, 1949 to Knoxville, Tennessee. A scan showing this build record can be found by following the link at the attached thumbnail image below.

151833.jpg

This scan and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others as you probably know well. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will donate, join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-wcha to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/store/membership to renew.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Back