Old Town ID Request Xtc37600m81h

Ryan Weddle

Curious about Wooden Canoes
First, thanks in advance for any insight anyone can give on the model of this boat. I spoke with Old Town today and they were unable to verify.

SN: Xtc37600m81h

Appreciatively,

Ryan

Welcome, the scanned records jump from XTC237597M81H to XTC27644M81I so the record for yours was either skipped by the scanning process or misfiled. There isn't much more that anyone here can tell you about serial number 237600. I may be able to identify the model if you post some pictures and basic dimensions here.

Benson

Thanks for your response, Benson. The vessel in question is owned by someone else about an hour away from me who is selling cheap. I've considered buying it as a project if the hull was made of Royalex. The seller says it is a heavy 17' royalex. I've attached some photos as well.

Appreciatively,

Ryan
00O0O_eJ5POMyHudu_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

This canoe is from 1981 based on the hull identification number (HIN) so it is not from the "Mid 1980s" as claimed in the listing. The page at https://www.usps.org/national/safety/HIN/HIN.pdf has more details about interpreting a HIN. See https://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?attachments/43621/ for the catalog listing from 1981. It appears that the gunwales may have been replaced. The hull is probably made from acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS) plastic which is also known as Royalex or Oltonar. Check the ends inside, a fiberglass canoe would have foam there for flotation with a bulkhead while an ABS canoe would be open. Good luck,

Benson

Last edited:
Your insight is appreciated. I had never seen the gunwales matching the hull color - not the prettiest thing.

Ryan

Looks more like the 18' Chipewyan Royalex hull to me. The 17' Royalex (Oltonar) boats were the Tripper and one of the Penobscots, both of which had different stem shapes from this canoe. Also, the only boat in the Chipewyan lineup which had two thwarts was the 18 footer. The rest just had a single center thwart. When the Royalex line started, and for several years, the seats and decks were white ABS or rigid vinyl. Gunwales were tan vinyl and those on the longer models had a piece of aluminum extrusion inside for extra strength and stiffness. The later version (beginning around 1980 or so) had tan, roto or blowmolded polyethylene seats which were filled with foam. Rumor was that the metal molds to make them cost $8K each, so they only made two, a bow seat and a stern seat. They were positioned in the different models wherever they would span the distance between the gunwales for that particular model. Decks at that time were also changed from the white ones to a tan polyethylene casting, which was tougher and a better fit. Gunwales stayed the same and were pop-riveted on. Sometimes they could nest bare hulls to some extent and ship them cheaper than finished canoes. I spent many an afternoon installing gunwales, seats, thwarts and decks on Old Towns at our shop.

It's hard to say exactly what's going on with the red gunwales. The Old Town gunwales had virtually no outwale, so these are not original. Whitewater paddlers like wide outwales as they do add some serious splash protection, so maybe that's why these were replaced. The easiest material to do that with is wood, but it's hard to say much more without seeing the boat. Royalex will age and get brittle if it eventually gets too much sun exposure, but if it looks to be in decent condition and the price is nice, the canoe may be worth picking up.

Well, the boat sold today before I could get there, ha! Incredible lesson in OT history though. I really appreciate the insight from you guys.

Ryan

Back