Old Town Guide G.s. Green

Gil Cramer

The wooden canoe Shop, Inc.
The build record for a 1967 OT 18' guide indicates G.S. green as the paint color. Does anyone have a chip indicating the color?
Thanks, Gil

I'm not aware of any original color chip or PMS code for G. S. green. It was probably slightly lighter than the more typical dark green. I would encourage you to just pick a shade that you like. The known Old Town paint charts are shown at http://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/7345/ including one from the 1960s which does not include G. S. green. Sorry,

Benson

This is a customer's canoe. I suspect that G. S. stands for guide's special, which likely has a matte finish instead of gloss. Colorwise; we may just have to guess; probably as you said, slightly lighter,
Thanks Benson.

This is an older thread but I just thought I'd add to the discussion for anyone reading it anew. I bought a 1965 Old Town guide's special - green. I compared it with Rustoleum oil based enamel - Hunter Green. It is very close to the original (albeit faded) color. The Hunter Green is a tiny bit brighter with a little more gloss than the faded canoe I'm comparing it to. It is certainly close enough though. I think it will look great. It is what I will use once I re-canvass it.

Hello,
I've just finished a recanvas of a 1944 18" Guide model, and the build sheet said G.S. Green. I used the Rustoleum Hunter Green, and the color is beautiful. The product is pretty easy to work with too. Used a 6" foam roller in one hand, and "tipped" it off with a brush in the other hand. It might be glossier than the old canoes were, but I find that touch-ups are less obvious with glossier finishes as they don't chalk up as quickly.

Here is a test area I did over the old paint just to see what it looked like. The color is not the same as the faded/oxidized color. Who knows what the color was prior to aging for 50 years? I think though that the color would have been a slightly darker green than this hunter green but the hunter green is going to look quite good.

Attachments

• HunterGreen_On Canoe.jpg
    HunterGreen_On Canoe.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 307
Back