OLD TOWN DISCOVERY 119 SOLO REVIEW

Nothing personal, but after reading all of his comments on that page it is pretty clear that this guy doesn't actually know squat about canoe designs, their construction, and /or what makes one good or bad. Find your advice from a more reputable source. The available selection of solo canoes is huge and they quite often vary drastically from one to the next. Some will be OK for your intended use, many will be a terrible choice, despite possibly being very good boats for other people and their intended uses. Before wasting your money on something that doesn't fit your needs, do everything you can to get a chance to actually paddle some different models and see what works best for you. And ignore the advice that anybody gives you claiming that they know of "the best" canoe for such a broad category, it's pure B.S. I used to sell Discovery 119s. They're good little boats, but like any small canoe, they have their own set of limitations which may or may not make them the best choice for you.

Todd nailed it. Go to a reputable canoe retailer, not wal-mart, or any of the big box stores, and talk to people who actually paddle the canoes they sell. Better yet, go to the Western Pennsylvania Solo Canoe Rendezvous next June (http://wpascr.org/), where you can paddle dozens of different solo canoes, from new models to classics that are no longer manufactured. Paddle as many as you possibly can, either at WPA or anywhere else you can find them. The differences between solo canoe models are dramatic.

The right boat for me, or Todd, or anyone else, may not be the right boat for you.

though that looks more like silicone than an inflatable i will of course defer to your apparently considerable knowledge. but can you use it for a life presever?

Where will you fish? The kind of permit is distinctive relying upon where you will fish. For instance, on the off chance that you have a freshwater fishing permit, you can just fish on lakes, streams, and lakes. A similar guideline applies to saltwater fishing licenses.

Back