Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Old Town Canoe Company

Discussion in 'Research and History' started by Dan Miller, Sep 29, 2006.

  1. Dan Miller

    Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

    Serial Number - a four, five, or six digit number, preceded or followed by a two digit number that is the length of the canoe. Example: 123456 16 or 18 56123. Regardless of whether the length comes before or after the serial number, it does always seem to be on the end of the stem towards the center of the canoe.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008
  2. OP
    OP
    Dan Miller

    Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

    Old Town Canoe Models

    Charles River - One of Old Town's original models, was orginally named the "Robertson" model after J.R. Robertson, who was a principal of the company in 1902. When Robertson left after a year, the name was changed to Charles River Model. It was offered through 1929.

    H.W. Model - Offered 1901-1953. This was marketed as the "Heavy Water" canoe, tending toward the shape of a "salt-water yawl" It had "more draft and greater steadiness under windy conditions" than Old Town's other models. Theories that H.W. also refers to Henry Wicksteed (an amateur boat designer and crony of J.R. Robertson) or Henry Wickett (the father of Old Town's first employee) are unlikely for a variety of reasons.

    Otca - Old Town's primary pleasure canoe. The name is thought to be a shortened version of the telegraph code of the the company - Old Town CAnoe COmpany. Available in 16, 17, and 18 foot lengths, and was relatively flat-bottomed (compared with their other models). It's distinctive feature was 20" long decks with a coaming, though this was dropped in 1957 and the "regular" deck was used from this point on.

    Yankee - Originally known as the Livery model, this is Old Town's 16' x 36" canoe. During the time it was offered, it would be the model that offered the most stability (it was their widest, flatest-bottomed canoe). In 1957, it was substituted for the 16' Otca (which was 2" narrower in beam).
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2008

Share This Page