Old Town? #5358 16

Hi, Looking on info for this canoe. I don't think it is an Old Town though. Serial number is stamped like an Old Town, but not burned in. # 5358 16
Thanks, Chris W.
IMG_0909.jpg IMG_0904.jpg IMG_0898.jpg IMG_0911.jpg IMG_0901.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0911.jpg
    IMG_0911.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0901.jpg
    IMG_0901.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0909.jpg
    IMG_0909.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0898.jpg
    IMG_0898.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 202
The Old Town canoe with serial number 5358 is 17 foot long HW model with short ash decks, ash seats, ash thwarts, and no half ribs so that isn't a good match. This canoe looks like it came from the Charles River area. Does it have any Robertson stamps on top of the thwarts along the rails? Any signs of nail holes from a missing tag on the coaming or king plank? The planking pattern may offer another clue. The small font of the serial number is most commonly associated with Robertson canoes. Good luck,

Benson

Hi Chris,

The trapezoidal stern seat, the stem profile (wider than in an Old Town), and the serial number font and size are consistent with Rushton. The half ribs seem similar to ones in some later Rushtons, but I don't have photos handy. The treatment of the top of the outside stem is odd, as is the tip of the stem band but because the screw through the stem band into the deck is an obvious replacement, maybe some modifications were made by a previous owner. The two thwarts are distinctly different from each other, so one is probably a replacement (the bow one looks like those in early Old Towns; the stern one reminds me of some I've seen in later Rushtons).

Michael

Last edited:
Michael has pointed you in the right direction.
There are quite a few details that suggest Rushton including the half ribs. One further detail that suggests Rushton is the width of the stem. The wider stem is very characteristic.
The king plank is different than the one on my long deck but the deck construction looks about right. You may find the very distinctive Rushton lobed short decks are built in below them.
A detail, that is a certain giveaway is the width of the top plank. Even on these later canoes the Rushton boats will have the very distinctive 8 to 9 inch wide top board.

Don't forget the front seat cleats as well as it looks like this has never mind it's current NY home.

Reactions: MGC
Back