Old Town 4' sample

debtdumper29

I aquired an Old Town "Salesman sample" from my Uncles OLD hunting cabin in Maine. It,s in near mint condition,,,,except the "wicker" on the forward seat is almost entirely missing (except for the edges). Should I try to find someone to see if it the seat can be repaired or leave as is? Will repairing it affect the value?

Congrats! Very nice. The seat can be re-caned and shoud certainly not take any value away from it if it is done properly just like a full size restoration. I have a 5 ft model from 1916 and have re-caned one of the seats of mine and no one can tell. Post some pictures so we can see what you have found. There are lots of people in the Maine area that can assist you including me in NH.

Nice acquisition, and a valuable piece to have, if authentic and in good or excellent condition. It would be great to see some photos. Please take a full-length side profile, and some close-up side views of the ends, showing any decals. Also take some pics of both decks looking down from the top, and some views of the seats, thwarts, inside floor as well as a look at the outside bottom. That way, we may be able to give you some idea of its age, as well as comment on condition. Does it have a serial # stamped into either end of the inside stems, along the floor? Don't worry if you can't find one; very few of the OT models seem to bear numbers, even though 'build records' were made up assigning serial numbers to at least 81, or so, models. A couple have been found with numbers written in pencil. We have a data base of the known numbers, so can trace those that do turn up.

As to whether or not to re-cane the seat, some would, some would not. If you plan to keep the model, it becomes a question of what you are most comfortable with. A repair won't cost much, and may improve your viewing pleasure, especially if properly done and the cane is stained or tinted to look old enough to match the other seat. It probably always will be somewhat noticeable. If you plan on selling the model, repairs can be left for a buyer to decide. Depending on how 'ugly' the seat looks with the missing cane, a repair might enhance its attractiveness in the eyes of a potential buyer. But be aware that 'purist' collectors often prefer to buy good pieces even with slight damage; those are 'character' marks that testify to its age.

So, there's no hard and fast answer. You have to make the call depending on your comfort level and the considerations set out above.

Look forward to your photos.

Pics of "Sample"

[/attach] ME-Sturb-Canoe 149.jpgME-Sturb-Canoe 177.jpgIMG_0274.jpgIMG_0269.jpgIMG_0271.jpg

That's a super nice example of a 4' Old Town display sample. Based on the style of the decal at the bow, and the trade name lettering along the sides, I'd hazard a guess that it dates somewhere between the early '20's to early '30s ( 1922-34). With the exception of the caning of the bow seat, it looks to be in excellent condition. The yellow paint on the hull appears to be in lovely, aged condition. Very sharp looking with the red pin stripe and turned down ends. Personally speaking, I'd be inclined just to live with it as is for now. It's 80 to 90 years old, and should be expected to show some signs of age. Everything else looks to be in such nice shape, that bow seat doesn't really detract all that much. By leaving it alone, you can't hurt it, and can't be criticized for messing with its antique character. try enjoying it for a while; you can always re-cane later if the missing bit begins to bother you. But, once you do it, you can't go back (well, I suppose you could rip the new cane out). Anyway, that's a great example. Better thank your uncle many times over!!!

I little soap and water to clean it up and maybe a little oil to the inside if the wood is extremely dry as in most cases and fix that seat up. It will look fantastic!

That's a super nice example of a 4' Old Town display sample. Based on the style of the decal at the bow, and the trade name lettering along the sides, I'd hazard a guess that it dates somewhere between the early '20's to early '30s ( 1922-34). With the exception of the caning of the bow seat, it looks to be in excellent condition. The yellow paint on the hull appears to be in lovely, aged condition. Very sharp looking with the red pin stripe and turned down ends. Personally speaking, I'd be inclined just to live with it as is for now. It's 80 to 90 years old, and should be expected to show some signs of age. Everything else looks to be in such nice shape, that bow seat doesn't really detract all that much. By leaving it alone, you can't hurt it, and can't be criticized for messing with its antique character. try enjoying it for a while; you can always re-cane later if the missing bit begins to bother you. But, once you do it, you can't go back (well, I suppose you could rip the new cane out). Anyway, that's a great example. Better thank your uncle many times over!!!

The appraisers on The Antique Roadshow couldn't have said it any better, a beautiful example with a wonderful patina.

Back