OK, Want to take a stab at this one?

Discussion in 'Research and History' started by Canoeal, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Canoeal

Canoeal Canoe/kayak builder/resto

Looking to see if any one can do better than I. I b 100_1774.jpg 100_1782.jpg 100_1780 - Copy.jpg white seat.jpg elieve it to be a circa 1900 maine style canoe, origin unknown... Not much I know. any ideas? Square planking edges unusual seats...

2. Andre Cloutier

Andre Cloutier Firestarter

Al, what are the dimensions? looks like one i have, same seat style. are the ribs tapered in width and thickness after the bilge turn?

3. Andre Cloutier

and is the middle thwart shaped on the underside.

4. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

5. OP
    OP
    Canoeal

Tapered yes thinned I don't think so. Thwarts straight not shaped, not mortised. large canoe 18+' x 36-37."

6. 1905Gerrish

1905Gerrish LOVES Wooden Canoes

PLEASE POST PICS OF THE TWARTS AND STEMS.

7. OP
    OP
    Canoeal

At this point I can't do that the boat is not mine. It is part of the collection at the Red Dragon Canoe Club. I am doing a talk 10/18 on the boats in their collection.

8. OP
    OP
    Canoeal

I found two more pictures that may help. One has the stem protruding from under the seat (one seat, rear). The other shows one of the thwarts and it is mounted under the inwale.
    [/ATTACH] White seat side.jpg 100_1777.jpg

9. Andre Cloutier

Al here's my seat. Though the stems recurve a bit more and the deck has lobes. Wonder how common that style of seat was.

Attached Files:

10. OP
    OP
    Canoeal

Yeah the seat looks the same, but the decks are different and as noted so are the stems...