Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Not sure what this canoe is.

Discussion in 'Research and History' started by Mark Kerr, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Mark Kerr

Mark Kerr Curious about Wooden Canoes

[​IMG] The stems are splayed like a Morris but don't look the same. The gunwales are closed but not with a top cap, just blocks between ribs. The under the deck structure does not look like a Morris I've seen in the past either.
    Not sure what to put on top for a deck. Maybe 1/4" book matched mahogany? Help with this ID would be appreciated.
    Mark Kerr

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  2. OP
    OP
    Mark Kerr

Have pictures attached now

3. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  4. Dave Osborn

Dave Osborn LIFE MEMBER

Mark,
    You may have what we’ve called a hybrid. Seems as though the original owner of Kennebec hired several builders that worked at BN Morris previously, and they employed Morris build methods in the early years. I agree that the under structure on the decks does not look like Morris, but the stem/gunwale photo does look like Morris.
    I haven’t personally seen a lot of hybrids, but the ones I have seen had hardwood stems. Morris used cedar. That could be your defining feature.
    Here is a 24” Morris deck with 1/4” book matched deck halves. They came out well. Need to steam them.

5. OP
    OP
    Mark Kerr

Now I have the interior stripped, it turns out the stems are cedar..... No clue of nails holding a number tag though.

6. Dave Osborn

Dave Osborn LIFE MEMBER

Mark,
    I think the cedar stem pretty much nails it as a Bert Morris canoe. And as I mentioned the stem tip photo as well as the whole stem profile look like Morris.
    BN Morris sometimes put the metal tag on the inwale. Check for a pair of tack holes there.

How are the seats and thwarts?? I’ve got some Morris seats and thwarts. I’m not that far from you.
    Dave

7. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

8. OP
    OP
    Mark Kerr

Dave ,

The center thwart has definitely been replaced. I plan to make a new one but am not sure of the shape it should be. Seats seem to be original, hand woven.

Mark

9. Dave Osborn

Dave Osborn LIFE MEMBER

Depending on width, I think I have an original. Mahogany.
    Let me know if you are interested. I’ll probably never use it.