Norumbega Winter Meeting

Fitz

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
In Memoriam
Shake off the snow and think spring! Let Steve Lapey know if you are able to attend.

Norumbega’s Winter Meeting

The Norumbega Chapter’s annual Winter meeting will be held in just over two weeks, on Sunday, March 6, 2022 at Veasey Memorial Park, in Groveland, MA. For this year we have reserved the large front room with the fireplace for our gathering along with a dining room and a meeting room as we have done in the past.

The Covid is still a factor, we must limit attendance to only vaccinated people and masks will be required, but if we don’t do something about having a meeting, we will do nothing, so, we will give it a try.

I would appreciate it if you are planning on attending, please send back a quick “Yes” by e-mail. I have to do a lot of prep work for this and I will feel better if I have some idea of who I may expect to see on March 6th. Thanks a lot.

The event will be held from noon until 5:00 pm, some of us will arrive a little early to have everything set up and ready. We will start out with the usual lunch of beef stew, sandwich makings, coffee, tea and soft drinks. Please feel free to bring along a salad or a dessert item to share with the group.

Everyone enjoys seeing what others are doing with their old wooden canoes, we always need discussion topics and demonstrations for this meeting! Come prepared to chat about your latest project, bring along any small projects that others may like to see or pictures of what has been is going on in your shop this winter.

We will plan on setting up a schedule of paddling events for 2022 and try to make plans for the May Wilderness trip. So far, we have had suggestions for trips in Northern Maine, the Adirondacks in New York and Verendrye Park in Quebec. Who is up for a great adventure?

Our book swap will be on again, bring along any canoeing related books that you are through with and take home something new to read.

Come hungry and plan on a fun afternoon with other wooden canoe fans!

Here are the directions to get to Veasey Memorial Park:

The street address is: 201 Washington Street, Groveland, MA 01834 for those with GPS.

From the South via I-95: Use Exit 78-B, Route 133, Georgetown. Follow Route 133 West about 2 ½ miles to the center of Georgetown where there is a traffic light. Going straight through the lights you will be on Route 97 North. In 2 miles you will enter Groveland, in another mile there is a small strip mall on the right and a Chinese restaurant on the left. Turn left here on Salem Street, in about 1 mile there is a blinking red light. Turn left on Washington Street, in about a ½ mile Veasey Memorial Park is on the right, the main parking area is at the top of the hill, look for the WCHA signs that will be posted.

From the North via I-95: Use Exit 78, Route 133, Georgetown and follow the instructions above.

From the West via I-495: Use Exit 107, Routes 110/113 Haverhill. Follow route 113 East right through the City of Haverhill, keeping the Merrimack River to your right.

In the center of town Route 113 joins Route 97 South and continues along the river. Stay on Route 97 until you get to the Groveland Bridge, cross the river and continue on 97 South about 1 ½ miles to the Chinese Restaurant at Salem Street. Turn right here on Salem Street, in about a mile there is a blinking red light. Turn left on Washington Street, in about a ½ mile Veasey Memorial Park is on the right, the parking area is at the top of the hill, look for the WCHA signs that will be posted.

When going through Haverhill, do not be tempted to cross the Merrimack River until you get to the Groveland Bridge. There are two opportunities to cross the river before you get to the Groveland Bridge and if you take the wrong bridge, you will become hopelessly lost and have to call for help. I will try to remember to put the cell phone in my pocket to field calls for help, the number is 508 451 1941.

There is a handicap entrance at the rear of the building. Anyone requiring it may drive past the main parking lot and continue up the hill to the rear of the building for easier access. There is limited parking near this rear entrance.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the Winter Meeting!

One final item: I signed a paper agreeing that at our event at Veasey Park there will be no smoking inside, no alcohol, no dogs, no drugs and no firearms. Just saying to cover my tail.

Back