Norman Sims

Todd Bradshaw

Sailmaker
I got a message today that Norm Sims, co-author with Mark Neuzil of the beautiful book "Canoes - A Natural History in North America" had passed away from cancer. Back in my stripper building days, Norm was my boat building partner and we built them in his garage. A good friend for almost half a century and a man who was passionate about wooden canoes, he will be missed. So long buddy.

Norm in the bow seat of my big fur trade canoe, sized specifically to just fit diagonally in his garage as we built it.
Fur-Trade-Canoe.jpg

This is very sad news. I never attended any of his classes but always learned interesting new things when spending time with him. He will be missed,

Benson

Let me echo what Todd and Benson have said; Norm passed away Sunday after a bout with cancer. He was a great journalist and educator, a very accomplished C1er, builder and, most of all, friend. Working together was one of the highlights of my professional life. May his memory live on.

This is indeed very sad news. Norm was always a pleasure to talk with, very thoughtful, and he always left me with more to think about. Just this winter and spring we were working together on a story about Northeastern dugout canoes for the Wooden Canoe Journal. As always he was very attentive to detail and always wanted to learn more. He will be missed.

Back