New Member (Ontario)

Murat V

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Greetings all,

I've been visiting this site for a while and met a few members back at the '08 Assembly in Peterborough. Since then, I've built my own 12 ft birchbark canoe (though nowhere near as gorgeous as Ferdy's or Steve Cayard's bark masterpieces) as well as a 14ft Cedar Canvas as part of Pam Wedd's building course. I'm also into paddle making and have been experimenting with recreating native & historic designs decorated with woodburning artwork. Hope to productively contribute to these fantastic forums.

3866998485_3dd1b8fe32_d.jpg

3866998541_0ef984874e_d.jpg

Bark%20Canoe%20-%20Last%20Paddle3.jpg

Welcome to the forum....and from reading your blog on paddlemaking....and the two beautiful canoes you've built....I think you have much in common and to share with others here....

Fantastic website, Murat. Must have taken ages to pull all that together. Great links.

If you're ever in Haliburton, stop by. I'm about 1 hr, 15 mins north of the Canoe Museum. Jeremy and the gang there can tell you.

Roger Y.

Hey Murat. As a member of the Wilderness Canoe Association, I have also followed your posts on My CCR. You're certainly welcome here too. Maybe we'll even see you at a WCHA Northern Lakes Chapter (Canadian) event like the annual weekend in Killbear?
http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=4687
(though not until next September. We hope to have other activities before then)

Murat again welcome....you have a great blog. Not wanting to hijack this thread (so I do apologize), but as a new member of WCHA also living in Ontario I look forward to getting more involved here too...especially with the Northern Lakes chapter. And learn all I can from the older members such as Rob, Roger, and Andre....and new folks such as Murat.

Welcome Murat. just assumed you were a member since you have contributed so many interesting posts. For those of you who aren't familiar with Murats blog site check it out. The only site other than WCHA that I check every day, but then I have the paddle making bug too. looking forward to your participation. Hope we see you at some events.
Craig

Hi Craig. I've been a member since '09 when this thread originally started. Life's been busy with our 2nd child (9 months old now) so haven't been able to make paddles in a while. Hope to get to the Killbear event in September again, but for now I'm on double daddy duty.

Canoewithu: Yes, I'm still in Ontario but located quite far away from Fort William (about 900 miles). Never been to Fort William personally so I wouldn't be the person to ask. Perhaps you should post on the main forum and see if any locals can help. If you're specifically looking for canoe tripping options in the area, you could check out another forum - CanoeTripping.net. I know there are quite a few active members from Northwestern Ontario who would know much more about canoeing opportunities there.

Regards,
Murat

Back