need suggestion to build model canoe stand

François Rothan

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hello I need suggestions to build a nice stand for model canoes, it would be nice if you could show me some pictures. Thank you

Francois,
After 72 canoe models and counting, I've tried all sorts of variations, and it always comes back to one design, an ellipse. It's critical, I think, to present the model nicely but not take the observer's eye off the main attraction, the canoe itself. An elliptical shape lends itself to the shape of the canoe and doesnt look out of place. It's up to you what material the stand is made from for your beautiful bark canoes, perhaps something not as "finished" as my "whiteman" canoes. Here are some pictures to get an idea.... I think the larger ellipse is most pleasing, as you can see, I've tried different shapes and sizes. Ever think about displaying it vertically? ;) I'm not in the business to make canoe stands, thats why I won't make glass cases, there are others that can do it well, and better than I. To be honest, I hate that part of the build, I would much rather build canoes!

Attachments

• #40 racine 003.jpg
    #40 racine 003.jpg
    779.5 KB · Views: 989
  • #69-70-models 022.jpg
    #69-70-models 022.jpg
    641.6 KB · Views: 806
  • square-stern 002.jpg
    square-stern 002.jpg
    886.8 KB · Views: 942
  • 103_2060.JPG
    103_2060.JPG
    291.6 KB · Views: 724
  • 103_2061.JPG
    103_2061.JPG
    481.5 KB · Views: 718
Last edited:
Heres another idea I may use for the Gerrish. I may carve a sculpted cradle for it. Picture a free form contemporary sculpture, 2 three dimensional ellipses, one inverted over the other. We shall see. Let your imagination run wild. Anyone out there have some ideas or examples, post them!!!!:) ;)

thank you so much for your great advice, I prefer to build canoes too instead of racks but it is a special demand I have. Your canoes are beautiful by the way!

Francois

Chris,
I continue to be absolutely blown away by your craftmanship. (or the PC version, craftpersonship.) Keep it up and thanks for sharing.

Back