Need a few organized group canoe trips at the Assembly

Corrado Vasquez

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I think we can use a few canoe trips with groups touring the area nearby. Perhaps next year some 1/2 day or full day trips into the backponds can be added .It would stimulate more passion and appreciation in all of us and create more exposure to others on the beauty and functionality of our crafts.A few that come to mind could be a tour of the lovely homes on Spitfire and upper St Regis with a museum guide leading us.Another could be a naturalist from the VIC center taking us on a tour of a special project or unique area. For even more adventure a full day trip thru the 5 carries would be so memorable .

There was a session on Assembly feedback that was concurrent with other sessions. Perhaps an email to Annie Burke would help as she could forward to the appropriate folks.
I will say that there was a map of the canoe routes of the northern Adirondacks in the Registration tent. And maps for sale in the Packbasket. But I think you are looking for a trip that highlights history and special highlights that might otherwise go unnoticed.
I agree that it is more fulfilling to understand a little more deeply what you are looking at. As you have some knowledge about the area, how about you do a winter project of interest to you in the area and sharing with us as a guide. As you know the Assembly is all about volunteer members sharing what we have learned. No one expects an "expert" but part of the joy of Assembly is sharing what we know. or can find out!

Last edited:
Duly noted. The same suggestion was made at the Assembly feedback meeting.
The perennial problem we have had is finding someone familiar with the various routes to lead the excursion. Even better if we can find a ranger, guide, naturalist, etc. We're always interested in hearing suggestions of resource people/leaders for any new program activity at Assembly. In previous years we have offered these sorts of guided excursions lead by Becky Mason, Hallie Bond (former curator of the ADK Museum), and others.

The ADK Visitor Interpretive Centre (VIC) has a new Director, who is also a professor at Paul Smith's. We hope to foster new relationships with them to add new activities and expertise to Assembly programming.

Assembly is mostly (sometimes we have external presenters) by the members for the members. Please share any suggestions you have whether it be IDEAS or RESOURCE PEOPLE (preferably paired) to help keep the programs interesting and vibrant.

Aside; Mary picked up the two Australian brothers at the ADK airport. When I met them they were wearing hats and shirts from the Source to Sea expedition they organized for charity. They also mentioned that their father was the only wood/canvas canoe builder in Australia. I immediately asked if they would do a presentation. They obliged, and many found them to be entertaining. See http://www.dailyexaminer.com.au/news/paddlers-plan-river-odyssey-river-odyssey/1726998/

Rob Stevens
Program Coordinator
WCHA Annual Assembly

Part of the issue is twofold..transportation times and the need to portage. I went to college in the area ( that was many years ago) and am familiar with the canoe routes in the area. What I am not good at is the history. Most likely shuttles should be avoided.
A couple of possibilities is starting from Osgood Pond and going up and back down the river. There is a lunch stop on Osgood before the rapids Also of course from Paul Smiths through Spitfire and Upper St Regis. A historian would be nice for this outing. It would be all day.

Fish Creek to Square to Floodwood is a nice paddle but would be out and back to avoid portages. The loop continuing on to Middle. Polliwog and Horshoe requires portages. There is a boat launch ramp in the campground and a fee might be required. Follensby Clear Pond in the area is a stand alone half day paddle

Church to Jones is nice..could be one way half day with shuttle. Jones Creek is sometimes low necessitating wading.

Meacham Lake south down the Osgood River in the oxbows and back. Getting out is a problem on the river..its swampy There is a nice beach on Meacham.

Deer River flow north of Meacham Lake.. I have not done this yet. Its about 15 miles north of Paul Smiths
The audience would be wider if portages avoided.

Running Osgood River in its entirety not possible. In the middle the river goes underground.

Further afield, Lower and Middle Saranac is an interesting trip with a lock to go through. There is parking at each end ; otherwise its about a 14 mile paddle roundtrip

There is a newer Adirondack Paddlers Map that is available in the Packbasket but all these possibilities are visible in Google Earth

I am afraid I might be tapped out.. already got three classes next year..I would otherwise lead a trip.

Great list of potential routes, Kim.
I have never been clear if folks would want to be away from campus for more than a half day. In the past, the dining hall has provided box lunches for those who purchased the meal plan but weren't going to be on campus at mealtime.

Shuttles would be facilitated by access to a multi-canoe trailer.

Last year, the program proposed Paul Smith's to Keese's Mill, with a portage past Top Knot lodge into the North Bay of Upper St Regis Lake and back through Spitfire to Lower St. Regis Lake and Paul Smith's. As far as I know, most people did the paddle to Keese's Mill and back. Only one tandem that I know of did the portage and longer loop.

Last edited:
small correction.. that would be Upper St Regis Lake..you had me wondering just how would you get to Upper Saranac and back in one day..

small correction.. that would be Upper St Regis Lake..you had me wondering just how would you get to Upper Saranac and back in one day..

I was also trying to figure that one out.....that would be one heck of a day.
The lap (as it were) is a pretty nice paddle that can be done in an afternoon if you don't dilly dally too much. The carry is an easy one with part of it on a road. The spot where it turns off the road to the lake is not very well marked. If you end up carrying through Top Knot's gate you have overshot your landing (It should be obvious why I know that).
The Idem class sailboats race on Saint Regis during the summer. If you plan your day properly you can watch them race when you make the turn to head back up towards Paul Smiths. It's one of the cooler things that you can see on that lake.
The Water Witch displayed at the Adirondack Museum is one of the original 12 that date back to the early 1900's.
https://localwiki.org/hsl/Idem

I think down on Rt 30 south side past Fish Creek campground is a boat launch for the Racquette river.Its pretty slow moving non technical and you could choose to go either direction.There may be a pull off spot by a leanto campsite for a lunch break.Fish Creek loop to the other ponds may be another possibility.

Last edited:
Back