Monroe & Mountie Canoe

beaver

Birchbark CanoeingBuilder
This is a really nice wood canoe. Any ideas on the make of this beauty?

Attachments

• DSC01871 copy.jpg
    DSC01871 copy.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 479
Kennebec.....on a guess, based on the trim strip under the outwales. I think I once saw MM in a Kennebec in a different photo, too.

Except for the trim under the gunwale cap, looks like a closed gunwale chestnut with heart decks; Candadian boat just because of the Mountie....:confused:

Here is the one with a Kennebec......I was mistaken. It is not Marilyn, but quite a beauty none the less!! Any ideas?

Attachments

• kennebec.jpg
    kennebec.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 804
Re: MM and the canoe,

by sheer coincidence yesterday, there was comment on the news about a number of photos of MM which have just been re-discovered after many years hidden away in storage. Some of these relate to 1953, when she was in Banff and Lake Louise, Alberta, for the filming of "River of No Return". Looking at the background scenery in the photo, and the presence of the Mountie, etc., I rather believe there is a good possibility that's where this photo originated. Can't say that I recall the movie, though I do remember when she was in Niagara for the filming of the movie by that name. The Ford convertible that she drove in that pic belonged to my Scout Master, from whom it was rented for the duration. Possibly someone in Banff may recall the canoe.

Not sure what the canoe is....but the photo is likely a publicity still from Banff....from when she was filming River Of No Return....remember reading something about this picture recently....I believe it was in The Canoe: An Illustrated History by Jim Poling

And this wasn't Marilyn's first encounter in front of a camera in a canoe....From http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/marilyn-monroe-early-career.htm:
Noted Monroe buff James Haspiel maintains that Marilyn's brief line remains intact in complete versions of the now-obscure Scudda Hoo! Scudda Hay!, as does a shot of Marilyn and another starlet paddling a canoe.

From http://www.historymania.com/american_history/Marilyn_Monroe:
Her first part was in the second-rate film Scudda Hoo! Scudda Hay! , first as a girl exiting a church (speaking a line), and then as a girl in a canoe. Most of her scenes were cut, save for a far shot of Monroe in the canoe.

Old thread, I know...but I came across another photo of the couple in Dave O's original post on Ebay

It I.D.s the actors as Joel McCrea & Margaret O'Sullivan...

Think it might actually be Maureen O'Sullivan who played the original Jane in the first Tarzan movie! They starred in a film together in 1935 called Woman Wanted. Maybe this is a promo photo or image from the film? Either way, it's one of my favourite vintage pics

attachment.php

Back