Molded mahogany canoe- ideas?

Michael Grace

Lifetime Member
Surely some of you saw this Ebay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7404958989

The seller of this canoe said it was made by a Florida builder, but I am unaware of any commercial builder of canoes like this in the south. It is somewhat hard to imagine someone building a one-off in this manner, but who knows... I didn't buy it, so this is only a matter of curiosity.

It is surely not a Max Anderssons, and I don't believe it is a Haskell. In an old Wooden Canoe issue, there was mention of a Plycraft of Nova Scotia (http://www.wcha.org/wcj/v24_n3/moulded.html). The hull shape, sheer and construction look similar to this canoe, but the one photo of a Plycraft doesn't show much detail.

Any thoughts?

No idea, but neat looking canoe.

Looks like something Charles and Ray Eames could've done back in the 1940's. They took their molded plywood technologies beyond furniture, and even designed an absolutely gorgeous leg splint for troops in WWII. People hang them on their walls today.

12023004.jpg

Sorry, drifted a little off topic there, didn't I.

These were fairly popular in the early 1940s. Old Town sold at least two canoes in 1941 that were "Special Weldwood" models as shown in the attached build records. This model does not appear to have ever been listed in their catalogs. Rollin Thurlow has seen one and said that "The Weldwood patten # was #2073290. The Weldwood sticker was placed under the stern seat."

Penn Yan also advertised a Weldwood version of the 14 foot long Coquette model boats in their 1942 catalog as described in the third image below. These were not advertised in their 1940 or 1943 catalogs. It is possible that someone in Florida was also involved in these experiments at that time.

Benson

Attachments

• 132400.gif
    132400.gif
    68.5 KB · Views: 596
  • 132401.gif
    132401.gif
    73 KB · Views: 628
  • page-02.gif
    page-02.gif
    107.9 KB · Views: 816
Last edited:
book shelf

6b_12.jpg

23_12.jpg

74_12.jpgI say it's a book shelf that some turned into a canoe:eek:
but all jokes aside I have one of these mysterios canoes as well,
and I posted pictures of it several time and only got guesses as to what
it is and who made it, and everyone guessed somthing diferent!
but benson's reply to this post had a vital clue about the posible I.D.
of my canoe, it had a tag or lable about 1 3/4 inch by 1 inch on the left
side under the stern seat, unfortunatly the tag is missing but you can clearly see were it was.
also the canoe has closed ash gunwales, and the presence of steel fasteners
could date the boat to the early 40's.

put that in you pipe and smoke it:confused:

here are some pics of my M.M.C. that can be smoked if you print them
and shred them very fine enjoy:eek:

Back