Model 88 cedar rib - number 1000

PatBig

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello, I found my third cedar rib, a model 88 numbered 1000. In France, near Paris on the Marne river, arguably the best known and most frequented boating spot in France since the late 19th century. It was sold to me by the grandson of the original owner, it's been with the family since they bought the house they still live in 1914, or so he thinks. The canoe is in very good shape overall, comes with two single paddles and one double all bearing remnants of Peterborough logos, and a little trolley made of riveted steel. I am attaching a pic of the thwart tags. The plate on the after deck shows it was imported by the "Agence des manufactures américaines" in Paris. I assume this means pre 1905, as at this date Charles André became the official importer. I traded it for my model 90 Nin0, I was looking for a solo canoe that I could easily carry and lift onto my roof rack. Any complementary info about my canoe based on number, model, thwart tags, importer welcome. The restoration has started and looks like a piece of cake. One notable feature is the floorboards, they have wide oblique shallow milled grooves, for lightness or flexibility I assume. It appears original, all floorboards are marked 88 with a pencil. No rubbing strake, a rare blessing since most French canoes imported or not tend to have way too many.

Attachments

• milo-complete-web.jpg
    milo-complete-web.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 428
  • milo-deck-aft-web.jpg
    milo-deck-aft-web.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 421
  • thwart-tag-web.jpg
    thwart-tag-web.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 416
Back