Methods for Cambering Solid Wood Decks?

algale

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Has anyone got tips or tricks for getting a smooth radius/camber into solid wood decks?

If you mean the curve of the deck with the rise to the stem? To get a crown to the gunnels We set it in drilled and set the screws. drew a line along the edge showing.. took them out and did most of the work off the canoe then final sanding of the the gunnels and decks made it all very pretty
866bd8ca-15f6-4ca6-b859-05843637e3f8_zpsjgphacx4.jpg

Just dropped her down from the ceiling time to get new canvas but just can't seem to find time.
IMAG0245_zpswzqdimqm.jpg

We tried bending mahogany boards, cracked like crazy (can't seem to find green mahogany) Finally I just picked up some 2" thick and the band saw make short work of that!

I crown mine slightly.
I see two ways to do this.
Assemble the deck by gluing up beveled pieces, like a old Oak whiskey barrel, or do like I do, start with 5/4" thick stock. Make sure the bottom of the deck is even with the bottom of the gunnel, and the excess is above the shear.
I rough bevel on a belt sander, before fitting, and finish after installing the gunnels.

I'll try and get a better pic posted soon.

Jim

the single best tool for this is the spoke shave make sure its razor sharp. They work best when you pull rather then push. When working curves, come in from the ends to the center so you don't get tear out

Joe steamed his decks, they were/are curved both side to side and front to back.

The "problem" with carving them out of thick stock is the grain doesn't look right, ie, where material is removed, different growth layers are exposed.

Dan

Not a problem I've ever seen in such a slight crown Dan. Mahogany doesn't have much of a grain showing like oak or ash either. Too too many ways to make a breasthook (deck) on a canoe. strips, straight, herringbone,or horizontal pyramid like, coopered as Jim mentioned, I like book matched by re-sawing the plank then joining them in the middle. I see choices more then problems :)

Edit
the deck on canoe in the photo was not cut from 2" stock it was a 5/4 board if I remember right. On the Old Town HWs we restored the decks were curved quite a bit. We all chose our battles when working wood :)

Last edited:
Back