Looking for Plans

Kipster

Hello everyone. I just registered today as I look for knowledge on what type of Cedar strip canoe to build. I'm hoping to describe the purpose of this canoe and gain an understanding of what type of canoe might be best and where i can purchase plans.

I currently float a Royalex Old Town 16'9" and load it more heavily than it should probably be (see attached pic). My gear will typically extend above the gunwales from my knees all the way to the tip of the bow. Very rarely do I have a passanger because all our friends have their own canoe. I wish I could tell you the weight of the gear but don't know it. This canoe needs to hold at least the same weight as the Old Town and be similarly as stable.

There are plans for 17-18' canoes that can hold such gear (Freedom, Nomad) but I don't like the look of these. I more prefer a Redbird or Prospector with the more exaggerated recurve lines (indian sytle look). However, these may be more tippy and hold less gear. My latest idea is to take a 16'1" Prospector plan and extend the molds so they are 13" apart adding a total of 1' to the entire canoe.

The river I float is Class I with some Class II. I need a plan to replace this canoe and potentially provide even more room. The river pushes us along so I'm not worried about speed/swiftness. In short, I favor more room for gear.

Any advice on a plan, or an approach on how to decide on a plan is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Canoe.jpg
    Canoe.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 469
Looks to me like too much gear to begin with. After your next trip, when you get home, lay out all the stuff you took with you including everything you wore. seperate into two piles on the floor. one pile of anything you actually used on the trip and a pile of everything you didn't use.
Discard 1/2 of the pile you didn't use and do not take it on the next trip. Repeat after the next three trips and get the gear down to a reasonable size.
Also it would take a fraction of the money to build a new canoe to buy better and lighter gear.

something like this? 18ft x 36"
18ft tripper render.jpg
or check out Gil Gilpatrick's 18ft. or 20ft. White guide. They are big tripper designs with a proven history.

Both good suggestions. It depends on what the guide was designed for.
The intent of a Prospector is "lots of gear"
At the risk of debate, I would have no issue with the proposed "stretch".
John

Tim,

That picture looks exactly like what I am imagining. How can I find more details/specs and where to purchase plans? By the way, I cannot find clean 18' Western Red Cedar in Missouri. Any thoughts on who might ship to my location while being sensitive to my notes on which stock to select? I'm leaning towards the bookmatched strips that rotate in tones with every-other board as in this short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TosUVRdwzU

Tim,

That picture looks exactly like what I am imagining. How can I find more details/specs and where to purchase plans? By the way, I cannot find clean 18' Western Red Cedar in Missouri. Any thoughts on who might ship to my location while being sensitive to my notes on which stock to select? I'm leaning towards the bookmatched strips that rotate in tones with every-other board as in this short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TosUVRdwzU

Send me an email and I'll send you more information.

Back