Lapstrake planking

DAVID EDGERLY

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Ok DAN
I AM PLANKING THE LAPSTRAKE CANOE WITH 5/8" TACKS THAT HAVE 5/32 HEAD THESE I HAVE RUN OUT OF,I HAVE BOUGHT MORE TACKS FROM JAMESTOWN BUT THESE HAVE A BIGGER HEAD THEY ARE #10 BY 5/8 LONG. I HAVE HAD SOME TROUBLE CLENCHING THESE TACKS. WHICH ARE THE RIGHT TACKS FOR ATTACHING 1/4" PLANKING? ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE APPRECIATED
THANKS DAVE

They sometimes will not bury the head below the surface of plank the smaller heads of tacks that i ran out of were nice but i don't know where they came from. But the tack that was easy to clench has a head 5/32 dia is this enough? Sorry for yelling
dave

You shouldn't have trouble setting the larger heads in cedar. The heads will usually stay proud if you are planking with spanish cedar, mahogany or cherry (as in a sheer strake). A couple things to try is to make sure you are setting the tacks in the right orientation (so the bend goes across the flat), make sure you are getting a proper clench, and make sure you are backing fully.

If you are not sure you are getting a proper clench, practice on scrap, bust it apart and look at the nails. They should form a nice curl.

Back