Lakefield canoe

PatBig

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello all, I am going to look at a Lakefield Canoe Company canoe - so says the add in a local Craiglist type site - tomorrow. I have no picture , just the owner's assurance it's in very good condition and ready to paddle. Any advice on what to look for, or watch out for? The canoe is varnished cedar, inside and outside, according to the seller. I asked for pics but they have not come and I must go see it tomorrow, it's not far from where I am now but I have to drive back home on Saturday and that's over 300 miles.
Thanks for your advice,
Pat

Take a flashlight. Look up under the decks with it. Look really really close for cracks in ribs. Look at it upside down to see if the curves are fair.

Oops!!! I am so sorry. I was not thinking all wood. I was thinking w/c.
Oh, Department of Energy,,,,,Department of Energy.......

Thanks. I just saw the canoe, a waste of time and petrol. "Very good condition and ready to paddle", plus a couple of blurry picture, translated into lots of rot at both ends and underneath the many rubbing strakes the French like so much, shoddy repairs, ready to paddle if you don't mind paddling in a bathtub. A pity, it was, or had been, a lovely boat, and did have all Lakefield Canoe Company thwart tags. :(
Pat

Back