Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Knutting or Brodbeck?

Discussion in 'Research and History' started by obriengreg, Oct 22, 2011.

1. obriengreg

obriengreg Curious about Wooden Canoes

Nutting or Brodbeck?

I just got a canoe that I think is a Nutting or Brodbeck. It has closed gunwales, thwarts were mortised, seats have slat like planks that do not look original (may have had dowels) . There are two holes on the deck where a plate may have been. What do you guys think?

Greg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. Kathryn Klos

Kathryn Klos squirrel whisperer

What a pretty canoe! What's the length? Where was it found? Wood species? More pictures... ?

3. 1905Gerrish

1905Gerrish LOVES Wooden Canoes

I have a very early Brodbeck. Has tag but no serial number. Your stem profile does not resemble my Brodbeck. Could you supply more pics of the twarts. That will tell for sure. Is there a serail number?

Zack

4. OP
    OP
    obriengreg

Here are some more photos (some of the not so pretty side).
    Oh yeah and it's coated inside and out with fiberglass resin or epoxy :(
    16 feet long and 30" wide.
    The thwarts are not original.
    I do not see a serial number.

Greg

Attached Files:

5. Dan Miller

Dan Miller cranky canoeist Staff Member

6. OP
    OP
    obriengreg

I am happy to say the canoe dose not have epoxy or resin on it, just many layers of thick dripping varnish inside and out.
    The size is 16 feet long and 30" wide and 11" deep.
    Decks look like birdseye maple.

Greg

7. OP
    OP
    obriengreg

I went to the Waltham museum to see their Nutting but they do not have the canoe on display, it is at their old location (they moved 5 years ago). The caretaker said I could meet him at the old museum after closing and see the canoe. The Nutting is in the basement of the old museum and there is very little light and the photos are from my phone so they are not very good.
    The deck is similar but wider, the edges of the gunwales and stem are chamfered like my canoe but the thwarts are bolted not mortised and riveted. My canoe seems older but it could be a Nutting.
    Greg
    IMG_0195.jpg IMG_0187.jpg IMG_0186.jpg IMG_0184.jpg

8. 1905Gerrish

Greg,

Any new news on this canoe? I purchased one a few days ago which is identical to yours. Also the tag is missing. What I can add to this is I have 2 Brodbecks at home that have two different style tags and neither match perfectly to the nail holes I have left in my deck. Does anyone have a Nutting with a tag that could measure the distance between nail holes? Greg, my canoe is in very good shape for its age and will share some pics soon to possible help with the restoration if needed.
    Zack

9. Kathryn Klos

Kathryn Klos squirrel whisperer

Hi Zack--

This is an interesting canoe. Does yours have the same seat configuration-- are those slats original? Does yours have mortised thwarts?

Kathy

10. 1905Gerrish

11. 1905Gerrish

IMG_20150610_164934_142.jpg IMG_20150610_165123_543.jpg IMG_20150610_165123_543.jpg Here are a few pics of my canoe

12. 1905Gerrish

IMG_20150610_164853_111.jpg Here is one more. Still don't have any additional info on it. The front seat is missing. Interesting how it was made to be removable.

13. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 8:47 AM
  14. 1905Gerrish

Finally got around to restoring this canoe. I determined it was a C.P. Nutting after all. I had a new tag reproduced and the canoe restoration came out well IMO. The removable front seat is very interesting. I made a couple swivel blocks to hold the seat in place. There were nails holes there originally. Nutting started manufacturing in 1884 by info that I have found on these forums. Other Nutting's that I have researched mostly have serial numbers. This canoe does not and has early features including the mortised thwarts and wrapped cane seats. I believe this is a very early canoe of his. I stumbled across another last week identical to this and was so excited as to what I found I forgot to take a picture of it with the original deck tag but have asked for a photo of it when the owner gets a chance. It was for sale if anyone would like a sister canoe to this.

Attached Files:

Benson Gray and MGC like this.