Jason in NS

Jason Muise

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Just wanted to say hello to all here. I've started a refurb on a wood/canvas canoe of unknown origin. It was old when my grandfather got it and he had it for 30 odd years. Overall it is in decent shape. It is going to be sanded,oiled,and varnished on the interior. It will also be recanvased and a possible rib replacement/ backside repair.
It hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew, but the boat needs the love.

Welcome, Jason

Would love to see pictures of the mystery canoe... and please share your progress!

Kathy

Having trouble up loading photos, says my files are too large.
I would love for other Nova Scotia based people to get in touch, especially if you have recanvasing experience. This is my 1st go at something like this and would like to talk to someone about it when the time comes. I've read all the books, but it doesn't make up for real world experience. Thanks.

photos

Here are some photos. Now that I can reduce the size of the photos there will be more soon.

Attachments

• CIMG1551.JPG
    CIMG1551.JPG
    276.7 KB · Views: 546
  • CIMG1550.JPG
    CIMG1550.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 518
  • CIMG1556.JPG
    CIMG1556.JPG
    318.4 KB · Views: 550
  • CIMG1558 2.JPG
    CIMG1558 2.JPG
    433.3 KB · Views: 521
Looks to me like it originated in Canada... this is probably a major "duh" if you are in Nova Scotia... but might take a look at the canoe id information on Dan's site-- http://dragonflycanoe.com/id/index.html-- scroll on the left to find some of the Canadian builders and see if anything fits. Eventually, someone here may jump in with their thoughts, too.

Looks like a great project.

Kathy

The rails and seats may not be original. The close up of the ribs seems to show that one edge is not beveled. That says Chestnut to me. Am I right?

not sure

Not sure what it is. I'm starting to think it might be a Huron, but I really have no clue.

Large gaps between the planks, inwale caps, babiche seats and thick decks. Most likely a Huron canoe. The original decks should be heart shaped but if they aren't it might be a Faber [no inwale caps], both built in Quebec, Canada.

Attachments

• 16 Huron Oct 08 007.jpg
    16 Huron Oct 08 007.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 463
  • 16 Faber 09 08 018.jpg
    16 Faber 09 08 018.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 458
Back