Japanese Saws

techrtr

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I'm thinking about picking up a couple of Japanese saws for a canoe restoration project. Anyone know which are the most useful models? Don't want to spend money on something that won't be practical.

Bruce

I love (Japanese) pull saws. Very thin kerf and very sharp. I have two. A one sided cross cut that flush cuts and does other cuts well and I have a two sided cross cut/rip cut. For just one saw I'd get the cross/rip combination saw. Very useful.

I have found Pullsaws by Shark Saw to be quite good. Not traditional Japanese saws, but the blades and teeth are Japanese style in form and function (cut on pull, very thin kerf), with a pistol grip handle. I have a 14 TPI carpenter's saw and a 19 TPI super fine cut saw. They cut accurately, rapidly, with a very thin kerf, and leave a smooth cut edge, especially the super fine.

Prices are quite reasonable and replacement blades are readily available.

Probably not for Japanese tool purists -- but they do a good job.

http://www.sharkcorp.com/shark-saw-2/

Greg

I am on my second Shark Dowel/Dovetail/Detail saw as seen on the link for $18.49. Well worth it. I use it for EVERYthing! Couldn't get along without it. The straight handle is best. Let's you get into more tight spaces.

Back