Is this a St Lous?

Dave Wermuth

Who hid my paddle?
17' long. About 34" wide ... i can't see a number. The decks are undercut and nicely shaped but I don't know what a St Louis deck is supposed to look like other than arrowhead. The fit is a bit off. It's been worked on before, and 'glassed unfotunately. I can take more specific measurements as needed.

Attachments

• 201_2725.jpg
    201_2725.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 431
  • 201_2726.jpg
    201_2726.jpg
    531 KB · Views: 448
  • 201_2728.jpg
    201_2728.jpg
    539.5 KB · Views: 434
  • 201_2763.jpg
    201_2763.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 453
  • 201_2766.jpg
    201_2766.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 436
Hi Dave, measure the deck tip to indentation. it looks right from the deck but the stem profile looks differnt than mine.
Tim

Yes, that is a fairly typical St. Louis deck. Everything else about it pretty much screams "St. Louis."

Dan

Ditto to Dan,

The carrying thwart looks to be a replacement.

I do think this could be a latter version as the half ribs a not rounded off as they are in my early version and the thwarts half a different shape.

Dave, you should find a serial number on top of the stem just like an Old Town.

I've attached a picture of my early serial number and a few other shots. The St. Louis is the one on the bottom of the rack

Paul

Attachments

• IM002023.jpg
    IM002023.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 418
  • IM002024.jpg
    IM002024.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 396
  • IM002031.jpg
    IM002031.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 402
  • IM002022.jpg
    IM002022.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 404
Carrying thwarts are 2"x2" pine stock with 1/4" bolts. Center yoke/thwart is also unlike the other two and has a huge knot in it and looks home made. the decks measure down the centerline 16 1/2" or 17" and along the side 17 1/2" or 18" DPENDING on how I measure it. And they are steam bent. Planking is 3 3/4". Inwales look like mahog. No sign of any numbers, so they were either sanded off or there is too much varnish for me to tell at this point. I was searching the site and did not find much. I leaks slightly, has been glassed and therefore weighs 4 ounces less than a battleship, but it paddles wonderfully. Stiffens up when heeled. I think even I could sip water over the rail with a little practise.

the ribs are 2 1/2" and taper to 1 1/2" to 1 3/4". I stripped the stems... no numbers at all BUT the area has been sanded. there is a difference. It looks like it was sanded with 80 grit in the area where the numbers should be. The rest is sanded more like normal 150 or 220.

IMG_2333.JPGMine is a 16'. Deck measures 16 1/2 inch along the center. There does seem to be more upturn to the deck but otherwise, the same.

Looks like a St. Louis Boat & Canoe to me. See if the outwales are spliced about a third of the way back from the tip.this is typical for a S.L.B.&C. To bad about the stem number.

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I thought it was but wasn't sure how the fit of the deck should be. the Profile looks just like yours treewater, And walter, I'll check the outwales for the one third splice. I hope the 'glass comes off easily.

Walter, both outwales were spliced as you describe. Beat up a bit but spliced at the one third area. With an extra screw through the splice. the 'glass is fighting me to stay on. I'm insisting it let go. Have spent a couple hours on it so far.

I can't find a splice in my canoe. Must be a factory defenct or someone altered it, not original. :)

Paul, as a result of the economy and bursted housing bubble, homes are easy to find and very cheap in Lovely Lapeer. You could be closer. I could use the help.

You call that work????
:)
Well, okay, removing fiberglass is work... the rest is fun! Now all I need is the time to actually do some of it...

I got lucky and was able to retire, so every day is Saturday, except for Sunday. I'm glad I started saving money in the 70's.

Got the glass mostly off. I can report that my dislike for fiberglass is ------ reinforced. As also posted to my fb 201_2774.jpg

If I find any fiberglass floating things that would like to return to normal I will send them your way.

Back