Interesting question

MGC

Scrapmaker
Andre Cloutier asked a pretty interesting question of me earlier, wheels or traditional.
What a great question to ask in this forum.
What do fogies that collect wood and wood and canvas canoes use in their other hobbies? Are we as quirky in our other interests?

Are you using wood and gut snowshoes, or the absurd (whoops, that slipped) aluminum and urethane shoes? (wood and gut)
Do you ski clipped in or do you skin and Telemark (throw a knee)? (I clip but throw on Xcountry)
Do you skate ski or classic? Are you waxless or waxing? Wood or composite? (both)
Do you have a maul or a splitter? (maul)
Do you have a wood/gut stick or a graphite with a woven basket (lacrosse)? (both)
How about the lumber? Wood, graphite or shafts with wood (hockey)? (both)
Do you have old planes in your shop or an electric? (old)

My goodness Andre..what a great question that was.
I answered wheels and now after giving some thought I realize I need to get the traditional bow out of the rafters.

Fall in the bush is incredible - worth waiting for all year. I shoot traditional, and do my own arrowsmithing. A friend of mine ' in da UP'(for my MI friends) is a fantastic bowyer, i have a reflex/deflex with birsdsey handle and overlays, and a 4-lam bamboo and black glass reverse handle longbow with curly maple handle and overlays. Used to shoot a Damon Howatt 70lb recurve but backed off to 58 and 60lb longbows.
http://www.northernmistlongbows.com/
Nothing beats wandering the woods with a backquiver and a longbow.
To answer your other questions:
wood and gut, classic, maul, planes and electric.
Actually,I pulled my stash of feathers out to grind some last week and found i had mice in my shed, they apparently love goose and turkey feathers and wrecked all my primaries.:mad:

Maybe I should be disqualified, since I'm an old fogie that collects lapstrake... nonetheless...

Wood and gut snowshoes, in several different styles (looking forward to this years WSHA- Wooden Snowshoe Heritage Association - gathering), haven't played hockey in 25 years, but when I did it was wood. Maul, yes; splitter, no. Fish bamboo. Wood skis, telemark style, waxed. Have (and use) a 'lectric planer, but prefer hand planes (lost count!). Build buildings with hand tools.... current project, the new canoe shop (attached) has only sacrificed electrons to Pandora and iTunes...oh, and Mac, not PC.

Attachments

• west wall.jpg
    west wall.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 325
  • scribed brace.jpg
    scribed brace.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 319
Better to be on the boat than behind the gun at the start...!

Given my sailing and racing performances this summer, maybe I should be delegated to "Official Starter". Gawd knows we have enough firepower.

Hmm,

I'm a old motor head from way back, and in addition to the flock of canoes, have a fishing boat (25hp) and a runabout (85hp) and the wife would really like a pontoon. We had motorcycles and 3 and 4 wheelers back when the kids were young.

I cut the fallen trees with the chain saw and the grass with an old lawn tractor.

I have also got addicted to old wood machinery, and have a garage full of stuff that also needs attention; 3 DeWalt RAS's of increasing size, 3 band saws, also in increasing size; a 14" delta, a 20" American Saw Mill/DeWalt and a 36 Moak, 1 - 8" Oliver planer, 3 table saws, a Delta 8, a Delta 10 contractor and a Uni. Plus misc drill press's, grinders and other junk, Oh, and the most recent, a 12" Boice Crane planer, possibly the best 12" planer ever made.

I don't do winter outside activities, but if I could afford it, I'd love to have a snowmobile and cruise the trails up North.
Winter is for canoe building.
Summer is for being on the water, doesn't matter whether it's a motorized boat or canoe.

I'm not much of a hunter, some grouse but that's it. I like shooting but guns are too expensive, I'd love a Desert Eagle, even a little .357 mag. I do have a little .22 target pistal I shoot sometimes.

Dan

Canvas or Nylon packs...

Duluth Packs here...

Wouldn't be caught with a "blue" plastic barrel, and those that do use them store them under nylon webbed seats:D

What do fogies that collect wood and wood and canvas canoes use in their other hobbies? Are we as quirky in our other interests?

NOT SO SURE I CONSIDER MYSELF A 'FOGIE' QUITE YET....BUT GUESS I COULD BE CLOSE AT 57 NEXT YEAR....OF COURSE SOMEBODY ONCE REFERRED TO ME AS A 'HERITAGE CANOE EXPERT' (WHICH I WOULDN'T EVEN WANT TO TRY TO CONSIDER MYSELF EVEN CLOSE TO LOL LOL) IN A TALK I GAVE ON TOM THOMSON'S CANOE....MY RESPONSE WAS THAT 'HERITAGE' MEANT 'OLD' AND THAT I MIGHT QUALIFY AT THAT....THEN I QUOTED E.B. WHITE ON AGE: “For an old man, a canoe is ideal; he need only sit and move his arms.”....AND I DO LOVE CANOES....BUT AS FOR 'EXPERT' THAT WOULD ACTUALLY BE 'EX-SPURT' OR "former drip under pressure" LOL LOL. AND I GUESS MOST PEOPLE MIGHT SAY I AM QUIRKY LOL LOL.

ANY WAY, HERE ARE MY ANSWERS TO MGC'S QUESTIONS:

Are you using wood and gut snowshoes, or the absurd (whoops, that slipped) aluminum and urethane shoes? WOOD & GUT

Do you ski clipped in or do you skin and Telemark (throw a knee)? CLIPPED IN/OLD PIN BINDINGS

Do you skate ski or classic? Are you waxless or waxing? Wood or composite? CLASSIC/WAXED/WOOD AND COMPOSITE (BUT PREFER WOOD)

Do you have a maul or a splitter? MAUL

Do you have a wood/gut stick or a graphite with a woven basket (lacrosse)? NEITHER DON'T PLAY LACROSSE....BUT WOULD USE WOOD IF DID

How about the lumber? Wood, graphite or shafts with wood (hockey)? NEITHER DON'T PLAY HOCKEY.....BUT WOULD USE WOOD IF DID

Do you have old planes in your shop or an electric? OLD

ROBIN ASKED: Duluth Pack or Blue Barrels? I USE WOODS CANVAS PACK (CANADIAN COPY OF DULUTH)....SOMETIMES EVEN A PACK BASKET....BLUE BARRELS IF ON EXTENDED TRIP, ESPECIALLY WHITE WATER, WHEN MIGHT BE USING CANOES (SUCH AS ROYALEX) OTHER THAN WOOD & CANVAS....I KNOW I KNOW THAT'S BLASPHEMY LOL LOL.

I DON'T HUNT ANY MORE....BUT I LIKE ANDRE'S IDEA OF USING LONGBOW....

NOT MUCH OF A MOTOR HEAD...BUT LOVE DAN L.'S POST....

I LIKE OLD WOOD BUILDINGS LIKE BARNS (TOTALLY LOVE PAM W.'S SHOP)....LOVE LOG OR TIMBER FRAME BUILDINGS TOO (LOVE DAN M.'S SHOP...IT"LL BE A BEAUTY WHEN FINISHED)....

HERE'S ANOTHER QUESTION THAT MIGHT HAVE ALREADY BEEN ADDED (THINK DAN M. MENTIONED):

When fly fishing, do you use cane rod or one of graphite? I USE BOTH....PREFER OLD LIGHTWEIGHT CANE WHEN ON SOME LOCAL SMALL CREEKS FISHING FOR LITTLE BROOKIES....BUT ALSO USE GRAPHITE MOST TIMES....

Last edited:

NOT SO SURE I CONSIDER MYSELF A 'FOGIE' QUITE YET.../QUOTE]

Ha ha...actions in this case speaking louder than words.....
I guess if you are still wearing an old down jacket or windbreaker that you made from a kit back in 1970 or so, stop fighting it.

The pack basket crossed my mind...absolutely, also use it for skiing and snowshoeing.
And Dan noted bamboo....rarely now, mostly composite but I do still tie from time to time....not too many 24's and 26's any more..can't see the bloody things to tie them on the leader.:eek:
Also to Fitz cannon, I do like to use blackpowder....it's a hoot.
How about wool or Gortex? (wool)

I forgot about tripping stuff, must be getting old.

I "converted" from nylon packs to genuine Duluth Packs for BW/Q trips a few years ago, we'll never wear them out.
But I also take a blue barrel for the food/cooking gear. And I stopped cooking on a fire years ago, except for the 1st night steaks, almost everything is heated/cooked on a small stove. It's much faster then playing with a fire.

The barrel and packs lay in the bottom of a glass canoe, a stripper I made, not under the seat, which is machined cain.
We took a W/C on a campout a few years back, but they are just too heavy for trips. (a campout is just going in a few portages and staying put, where a trip is covering 10-15 miles each day.)

Dan

"Duluth Packs here...
Wouldn't be caught with a "blue" plastic barrel, and those that do use them store them under nylon webbed seats"

Ha ha...actions in this case speaking louder than words.....
I guess if you are still wearing an old down jacket or windbreaker that you made from a kit back in 1970 or so, stop fighting it.

The pack basket crossed my mind...absolutely, also use it for skiing and snowshoeing.
And Dan noted bamboo....rarely now, mostly composite but I do still tie from time to time....not too many 24's and 26's any more..can't see the bloody things to tie them on the leader.:eek:
Also to Fitz cannon, I do like to use blackpowder....it's a hoot.
How about wool or Gortex? (wool)

OK OK I admit I'm an old fogie LOL LOL....I also admit that I find tying anything as small as 26s or 24s is a definite challenge....but then there are other things that I think comes with age that's not so bad....learning to appreciate 'slowing down' is one (but then I have naturally slowed down any way LOL LOL)....and I do appreciate the traditional things....but then I guess I always did....

I do use Gore-Tex as rain/wind wear....but prefer and use wool (but not the old woolen longjohns....too itchy LOL LOL)....and definitely believe in layers....still trip in old army surplus pants....and yes, I do still have an old down filled vest....but not from a kit....bought from Eddie Bauer's

Wool, definitely.
And a wanigan for kitchen stuff.
And a traditional knife,...

Attachments

• flint antler knife.jpg
    flint antler knife.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 304
Hi Rob. Nice knife but I wouldn't want to whittle a canoe with one. Here is mine.
Craig

Attachments

• DSC_0843.jpg
    DSC_0843.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 319
  • DSC_0845.jpg
    DSC_0845.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 313
Wool and waxed canvas, bamboo rod, kelly flint edge axe, waxed canvas pack basket, Thomson arms .410 pistol for grouse, leather footwear, mostly hand tools (gotta have that table saw). Most of these traditional things we treasure are still around because they LAST. They are worth taking care of. If only someone could come and restore me for another 62 years...... Oh Well...........

I forgot about tripping stuff, must be getting old.

" And I stopped cooking on a fire years ago"
"We took a W/C on a campout a few years back, but they are just too heavy for trips."

I bring a stove in case of fire bans, but wood canvas and cooking over fires, canvas packs and old beavertail paddles are a must for me.

Back