Indian Girl?

samb

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I have what looks to my uneducated eye to be a Rushton Indian Girl. I have read all I can here on the forum but still I’m not sure. I bought it from the widow of a man who had been ill with parkinsons for many years. She has no interest in canoes and could tell me nothing apart from that it was his favourite boat.

I haven’t got time to really look at details, or even clean it (How do you get all the dirty water out of a closed gunnel canoe?), but when I finish the present longitudinal strip project, I’ll have more time to look. This is what I know:

It was in the Uk before 1920.

16’ long. 32 “ wide at centre. It is 13“ deep inside at the centre. The tips of the stems rise to about 22” but difficult to be exact as I have nowhere flat to put it at present. Ribs are 2” tapering to between 1 1/16th” to 1 ¼”. Stem is 1 3/16th” wide.

The stern seat has all the signs of Rushton. Correct size, correct fitting tight under the rails with a small spacer.

The bow seat looks all original and is fitted tight up to the rails. No signs of any cleats.

Stern stem band is broken in 3 parts. Top part has Rushton stamped in it. Lower sections are replaced (thicker in profile and not on straight). Because of the straight cut at the join, it looks like sometime in the past, someone replaced the strip, but left the original ‘Rushton’? The bow strip is similar in section to the ‘Rushton’ section of the stern but has a rounded tip not pointed. This too is a replacement as it extends beyond the stem, is off centre and has a screw coming up in the planking!

At quick glance I can only see the numbers 63 - 2 on each stem. On the bow they are very clear and the stern is nearly as clear. I see no Rushton name stamp. The varnish is quite thick so something may turn up underneath.

The top plank is about 6” at the centre. All others are 2 ½” except the centre two at 3”

It has 2 thwarts. One is an obvious replacement, put a little way rear of centre probably to kneel against when solo paddling. The bolts for a centre thwart are present, the heads being under the rail caps. The stern thwart is original I think. Very plain and straight on top with perhaps a hint of crowning. It is shaped nicely underneath to a sort of half octagon section and thinned at the ends for the bolts. Can’t see any stamping on it.

The decks look all original. No sign of any label or stamp that I can see. Underneath the Thames river plate you can see 2 screw holes which used to hold something there. (between and in line with the two screws in the picture.) but there are no shadow lines.

The ribs are not in pockets. I can’t see, but they appear to be nailed straight to the side of the gunnel - no rebate. Without moving the caps I can’t see if the rib tops and planking are flush. One rib has a previous repair. It looks like pieces have almost been laminated on to do this.

The outside cover strips and rail caps are oak. They are nailed on with nails that look too big to me. The strips look newer and don’t seem to have been fitted well - odd mitres at the tips of the caps and no taper in the depth of the side rails.

I can’t work out what the gunnel is made of. Definitely not the oak used for the caps, side rails, thwart and seats.

The canvas is very old and needs replacing. Can’t tell if it is itself a replacement until I start disassembly and can see tack holes. The canvas original colour was dark green. I’ve never owned a green boat before!

If you have any suggestions as to what it is, or need any more details to help work it out, please reply. Whatever it is, it’s certainly a very pretty boat.

Sam
IMG_20200827_095020.jpg IMG_20200827_094651.jpg IMG_20200827_094615.jpg IMG_20200827_094405.jpg IMG_20200827_094312.jpg IMG_20200827_094213.jpg IMG_20200827_094145.jpg IMG_20200827_094054.jpg IMG_20200826_191328.jpg IMG_20200826_191155.jpg

Its certainly a Rushton Indian Girl. B Grade. Based on the sheer, it may be a Navahoe model Indian Girl (see attached) - the IG mold was modified to make bending the gunwales easier.

Attachments

• page-09.jpg
    page-09.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 239
Thanks Dan - that looks quite a possibility. It fits the description well. The rails could well be spruce.
Do you know when they were made?

It also fairly closely matches the description in this thread
https://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/can-u-f-o.10264/
although the pictures have disappeared and this boat never appeared to get a solid identification but was leaning towards being a Navahoe

Basically, the Indian Girl was introduced in 1901, and built until the company closed in 1917. (Later, the IG was built by the St. Lawrence Boat Works, but that is another story).

The Navahoe was introduced around 1908 (the catalog page I posted is from 1912, and it mentions they've been built for four years). The Navahoe, too, was offered until the company closed.

A more complete story can be found in Wooden Canoe issues 167 and 168 (October and December 2011). The IG story is in the second part.

The serial number on yours doesn't fit the usual patter (3 or 4 digits plus the length). It could be the Navahoes were numbered differently, or it was numbered differently for export. Not enough information in the IG database to know.

Dan

Thanks Dan - that looks quite a possibility. It fits the description well. The rails could well be spruce.
Do you know when they were made?

It also fairly closely matches the description in this thread
https://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/can-u-f-o.10264/
although the pictures have disappeared and this boat never appeared to get a solid identification but was leaning towards being a Navahoe

That old thread also mentions several other builder of Rushton-ish canoes. One mentioned is Cyce Brown. I have restored a Cyce Brown (well almost, I need to finish painting it) as well as an IG and can say with complete certainty that you should not mistake a Brown from a Rushton. There are lot's of details that would lead you to think it was one, but there are also enough differences so that one should not be mistaken for the other...

My Rushton Indian (Indian, not Indian Girl) also has a 2 digit serial # (84) stamped on the stems, with the length (15) stamped as well.
20190614_153943.jpg 20190614_154008.jpg 20190618_122648.jpg

Howie - I've got to start and finish a longitudinal strip before I even start on this boat, but when I do, I'll have lots of questions. One will be about the cleats for the bow seat; my bow seat is tight bolted under the gunnel and I reckon that's too high in a narrow round bottomed boat! If mine turns out as good as yours I'll be very happy!

Sam

Thanks Sam... I like praise! Ask any questions you want. Here's pics of my front seat.
20190614_155920.jpg 20190614_160811.jpg

My old Navahoe was number 220. A give away on the Navahoe models is the strait thwarts with the triangular profile on the underside. There is certainly a replacement thwart in your canoe but the other looks original and seems to be the style from the one picture showing the canoe lengthwise.

Back