Identify Free Canoe

EarleVermonter

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I recently acquired an old wooden canoe. It is broad in the middle and quickly tapers to narrow ends. Does not carry the fullness very far forward. Identifying features:
No seats per say, but just wide thwarts.
These thwarts have a unique attachment, mortised into a hardwood block which is than attached to the ribs/gunwhales/planking.
It has a steel/iron stem band which is rusty and a wide flat shoe keel.
The gunwhales are closed with a cap. This cap extends the full length. They are not constructed though with ribs mortised into them, but the ribs are just fit between an outer and inner rail. There appears to be a filler piece between the ribs, but this may be part of the inner rail. Hard to tell.
The ribs are relatively narrow and do not taper to the ends. 1 5/8 wide
OL 16' 8"
width 35 in
Long decks
I have not been able to find anything similar so far on the website here. Any help identifying this canoe and company history would be appreciated.
Canoe does not have a canvas covering, but appears to be finished with a thick epoxy with no glass or cloth, or shellac. Of course this is probably not original.
Wood planks do not appear to be cedar, but I can not be sure.

Earle Elliott
Danville, VT
eelliott@cabotcheese.com

Attachments

• IMG_7184.JPG
    IMG_7184.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_6824.JPG
    IMG_6824.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_7182.JPG
    IMG_7182.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_7183.JPG
    IMG_7183.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_7186.JPG
    IMG_7186.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_7189.JPG
    IMG_7189.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 309
The thwarts seem Canadian but it doesn't look like any factory built canoe that I've ever seen in a catalog. My guess is that this was home made. There are many here who know a lot more about Canadian canoes than I do. Good luck with the restoration,

Benson

Back