ID help please, Swedish canoe

Moga

Hello, don't know if people can help with international canoes or if this is just a US forum but will give it a try!

Just got this for 150 USD second hand, in western Sweden, seller didn't know anything except it belonged to his grandfather.
It's 445 cm long, 35 deep in the middle and about 60 cm high at the ends if you measure from the ground. The keel is 2 cm. The keel is covered in copper. It's only wood and canvas except for the flat parts at the ends (don't know what you call it in boat language), which is some kind of board.
canoe7.jpg canoe6.jpg canoe5.jpg canoe4.jpg canoe3.jpg canoe2.jpg canoe1.jpg

Thanks Benson and Rob, I’ve been in touch with HMCC already and had it put on their Facebook page, however no replies except that someone thought it looked like the brand ABC from Kungälv (nearby town where i got it), however there were signs that indicated that it was not an ABC as well.

Can you guess how old it is by looking at the photos only? Or do you need to know the brand and model?

Can you guess how old it is by looking at the photos only? Or do you need to know the brand and model?

Photos can give some idea of the condition but this is a very rough measure of age. Many times a recent but well used canoe can look older than an ancient but lightly used one. Condition usually just indicates how well it was used and stored. Most old canoes have been repaired a few times, often in ways that may be very different from the original builder's style. This frequently complicates any guess of age or origin.

Knowing the brand and model can help if there are old catalogs available to help narrow the range of likely dates. A serial number from a builder whose records have been preserved is best because those can be dated very precisely. Unfortunately, I don't know of any catalog collections or build records available for Swedish canoe builders. Sorry,

Benson

Back