How to use new decals from WCHA...

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
I was just getting ready to install an Old Town decal when I noticed that the decal looked different - the decal I was familiar with was surrounded by a blue background (called 'blue film' in the instructions). Reading the instructions I see that the decal must be applied differently.
20220704_094025.jpg 20220704_094021.jpg
Although it looks like the decal itself is sitting on top of the 'blue film' it apparently is not because after allowing the decal to dry over night you're supposed remove this blue film.

The directions say to soak the decal in warm water as usual, then slide the blue film (and decal) off the paper and onto the canoe, then squeeze out air bubbles and excess water, and blot away excess water. Then you let it sit overnight to dry. Once dry you 'gently remove the blue film'.

Huh??? Has anybody used one of these yet? How do you "gently remove the blue film"? Does it just peel off? Does it not stick to the decal itself at all? Do you use water to help get the film off?

Ok, cool, it worked just fine. And the blue film just peeled off as advertised. I'm guessing that this film acts as a stiffener allowing you to more safely position the decal without damage.

So... should I slap some varnish on it?

Back