Here we go again!

Seven bucks is about right. I did not know that ebay dictates the use of pay pal. Can they do that? Mine was given to me.

Chris:
When this eBay listing first appeared several days ago, both the title as well as the description suggested that it might be an "Old Town salesman's sample". I wrote the seller explaining that it was neither, that it was not very old, and certainly not "vintage". The seller is a 68-year old lady who recounted to me that she was taken canoeing 50 years ago by a beau who had a dark green Old Town canoe. The model put her in mind of those long ago memories, and she decided (maybe convinced herself) that this piece should be listed as such. She prides herself on being honest and, when I explained that she was very sadly in error, she at least revised the listing to remove the truly offensive portions. It's not so bad when innocently misguided sellers offer these things for $5. Those willing to spend a few bucks don't get badly abused. It's when the serious fraud artists offer them for a few hundred (and occasionally even a few thousand!!) dollars that really gets me. Ya gotta wonder where the good sense of some people is when they allow themselves to be taken in by such scams.

These things show up quite often on eBay, but this one is even less detailed than most. I noted there are no seats in this one, the paddles are cruder, and the ribs are more widely spaced. I, also, noticed there was a little sticker on one end, but couldn't read it. (Another Old Town sticker?) It just reinforces that you can't believe everything you read - especially when it comes to eBay. People need to do a little research on an item if they're going to bid. It's easier to fool the uninformed.

BTW - eBay does not require you to accept PayPal only, but it does encourage you to. As for me, I've choosen to go exclusively with PayPal for several reasons, primarily because of potential fraud and non-paying bidders

Back