Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Help needed

Discussion in 'Traditional All-Wood Construction' started by Marvin, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Marvin

Marvin New Member

I have always wanted a wooden canoe and recently acquired one. I have never restored a canoe, but I do restore old bamboo fly rods. So, I'm going to need a lot of the forums' expertise. Before I start the restoration, process I need to identify the manufacturer so that I can do an accurate restoration. I was told it was made by the Ontario Canoe Co. (circa 1939). The only ID I can find is a diamond shaped plate under the midship thwart that reads O B 9-7. I will greatly appreciate any help I can get. I've attached six photos.

Thanks, Marvin

Attached Files:

2. Michael Grace

Michael Grace Lifetime Member

Hi Marvin,

Your canoe is a molded plywood canoe, and while I can't place the maker right now, there were a number of builders of such canoes in the US, Canada and Europe. These included:

Haskell Manufacturing Company, Michigan
    Plycraft, Nova Scotia (?)
    Max Anderssens, Sweden
    Old Town Canoe Co., Maine
    Penn Yann, New York
    Allied Aviation, Maryland
    Moulded Products, successor to Allied Aviation

Some of these makers used what was apparently a generic term (though capitalized), "Weldwood". These included Old Town and Penn Yan. I think Old Town labeled theirs "Weldwood" on a decal applied on or under one of the seats.

Yours has a different deck style and some other distinct features relative to those I know of Max Anderssons and Haskell for sure. Not so sure about the others off the top of my head. However, there is a post of a canoe like yours here on these forums:

HERE is a link to the thread on the canoe like yours... note that the canoe has a tag under the thwart:

http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=2758

Hope this gets you started.

Michael

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  3. Denis M. Kallery

Denis M. Kallery Passed Away July 3, 2012 In Memoriam

Just curious. Did Brant ever find out what his canoe is? :confused:
    Denis