Help In Identifying This Canoe?

Gary

Canoe Grampa
Hi,
This cedar canvas canoe I purchased from an individual near Wakefield, Quebec, Canada with no known history? There are no markings, old decals or serial numbers anywhere on it. I'm hoping to restore it but was hoping to know something about where it was built and by whom?
Thanks for any help
DSCN2352.JPG
DSCN2355.JPG
DSCN2352.JPG
DSCN2355.JPG
DSCN2348.JPG
DSCN2350.JPG

Untapered rails and wide cant ribs indicate Canadian origin. It was probably built by one of the Huron builders in Quebec

The chunky thwarts and wide plank were characteristics of Bastien Bros. canoes during part of their lifespan. The plank was 4" wide on their canoes. Ribs were also untapered and square-edged like those in your canoe. They were also known for snowshoe webbing seats, though. Is there evidence of other seats ever having been hung under the gunwhale?

Thank you both for your help in identifying this canoe. I believe these seats are original I don't see any evidence of any restoration except on the one end where someone may have scarfed on a piece of inwhale? There isn't a lot to do to get her back up an paddling again so I'm looking forward to it.

Back